HDHR Prime Cable Card not pairing with COX

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ocarlisle

HDHR Prime Cable Card not pairing with COX

Post by ocarlisle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm

So, I ordered a HDHR prime cuz I was tired of waiting on the new ones to come out and then boom the day after I get mine, they announce they are dropping the new ones. Just my luck. Now it gets worse. I jumped through all sorts of hoops to get Cox to give me a powerKEY cable card, and got everything set up. Now, COX is saying something is wrong with my HDHR Prime because everything is correct on their end but it fails to pair the Prime to the cable card.

This is a used Prime, which was sold to me as "in perfect working condition, like new." This thing doesnt have a scratch on it and looks perfect. The lights all come on and I can even get to the screen where it shows the cable card info. Any ideas on what Im doing wrong here? Im very flustered after spending so much time and money on this. Im almost ready to give up. Any help would be very appreciated.

gtb
Expert

Re: HDHR Prime Cable Card not pairing with COX

Post by gtb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm

ocarlisle wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm
Now, COX is saying something is wrong with my HDHR Prime because everything is correct on their end but it fails to pair the Prime to the cable card.
Cox cannot tell anything from their end about your device (the U on OCUR is for Unidirectional, i.e. they are blind). Unfortunately most CSRs at most MSOs have limited CableCARD support capabilities (less than a percent of customers have CableCARDs, so they simply do not have knowledge or experience in the area).

There are lots of things that could be wrong. Most of them are going to be Cox responsibility.

First, make sure you are on the latest firmware (if you are a Windows user, just install the latest app and at the completion of the config process it will upgrade the firmware if needed).

Second, turn on diagnostics on the web page (that is for later).

Third, post your device ID (that is also for later).

Fourth, with the Cox CableCARD inserted, make sure it shows up on the CableCARD menu, and make sure the info matches what is on the card, and what you gave Cox (it all has to match exactly). Sometimes those numbers change, so you have to start over with the Cox validation dance.

Fourth, post the system logs, and any CableCARD info you feel comfortable posting (I don't consider any of the information especially sensitive, but I am not you) and maybe someone will see something useful to suggest.

Lastly, with the diagnostics on, and the device ID, post a followup here and request SD (during normal business hours) to see if the diagnostics provide any hints that "we" cannot see (the diagnostic logs have information "we" cannot see). [SD support is M-F daytime PDT, so posting here what you can may happen to help before Monday, or not, depending on what can be seen]
This is a used Prime, which was sold to me as "in perfect working condition, like new."
As mentioned, there are many things that could be wrong, but with the exceptions of the random sample defects (*everything* dies eventually), and people plugging the wrong power supplies into the tuners (and eventually killing them by overvoltage), the SD devices, just like the bunny, just keep on going and going....

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:17 am

ocarlisle wrote:
So, I ordered a HDHR prime cuz I was tired of waiting on the new ones to come out and then boom the day after I get mine, they announce they are dropping the new ones. Just my luck.
Where was it announced they are dropping the new one? I think this forum would be full of angry posts if that were true.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm

gtb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm
ocarlisle wrote:
Now, COX is saying something is wrong with my HDHR Prime because everything is correct on their end but it fails to pair the Prime to the cable card.

So I'm a complete noob with this stuff and im quite confused. I downloaded the app like you advised, or at least I think its the right app, however there is no "set up" or "configuration" it literally is just a window with the HDhomerun logo on it and some info in the bottom left corner. Nothing else occurs. There are no options to select anything or configure anything.

As well, I have no idea how to "turn on diagnostics". I went to my.hdhomerun.com and I click on the cable card menu, which has a "diag" screen, but there is no option there to turn it on.

Device ID is 131F4CC3

I also don't know what you mean by "system logs". I have nothing on the cable card menu that explicitly says "system logs" so Im not really sure what to post. As far as the cable card info I gave cox goes again I dont know what info im looking at. The physical card itself has what looks like a serial number and model number, but it doesnt have the host ID or the cableCARD TM number on it, so I can't validate that.

However, I did get a new cable card and a new tuner today. I also swapped out ALL of the cables and made sure there were no splitters. Still wont pair. I'm at a complete loss here. The Cox technician said my line and single are all good and that my cable card is good / tuner is good. He things the HDhomerun is fault or not cable of doing what I want. Im not convinced of this yet though.

I'm sorry that Im not fully understanding this stuff. Im pretty tech oriented but DVR's and Cable cards are brand new to me.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:09 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:17 am
ocarlisle wrote:
So, I ordered a HDHR prime cuz I was tired of waiting on the new ones to come out and then boom the day after I get mine, they announce they are dropping the new ones. Just my luck.
Where was it announced they are dropping the new one? I think this forum would be full of angry posts if that were true.
On their facebook, via the email they sent me and on their website.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 pm

I think you're confused, and also using an ambiguous word to describe what you're talking about and confusing everyone else. No announcements have been made recently about HDHomeRun PRIME 6. The recent announcements were regarding the SCRIBE and SERVIO models. And I think rrussis82 thinking you're using "dropping" as in "abandoning", where you're probably using it like "my new album is dropping next month". HDHomeRun PRIME 6 has not been abandoned, nor has a release date for it been announced.

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on your HDHomeRun, reboot it, wait 2 minutes and run a channel scan. See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066 for instructions on how to do that. Reply back once it's done so we can check the logs. If you don't have the option to run the channel scan with the CableCARD inserted, remove the card and refresh the page and the button should then show up.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on your HDHomeRun, reboot it, wait 2 minutes and run a channel scan. See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066 for instructions on how to do that. Reply back once it's done so we can check the logs. If you don't have the option to run the channel scan with the CableCARD inserted, remove the card and refresh the page and the button should then show up.
Holy guacamole that took ages for it to complete. But I did as you said and got the diagnostics enabled and the channel scan complete. Also, this is the first time I realized that set up program was what I needed. I did install a firmware update, however the card still wouldnt pair after doing that.

scottd2

Post by scottd2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Not sure of just how far you are getting, and what you expecting from Cox. But, I tried a few months back to set up a system using Cox as a provider. The end result was that EVERY channel was DRM. So, from what little I know, depending on what you are using to watch, the DRM maybe the issue.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

scottd2 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:35 pm
Not sure of just how far you are getting, and what you expecting from Cox. But, I tried a few months back to set up a system using Cox as a provider. The end result was that EVERY channel was DRM. So, from what little I know, depending on what you are using to watch, the DRM maybe the issue.
Well, I’m not sure how all this works. I’m pretty new to this. I’m trying to use Plex DVR. Cox told me that the tuning adapter they gave me should allow me to see all my channels and that they were familiar with HDHomeRun Prime boxes and said that they have plenty of customers that use them. I guess they could have lied or had no idea what they were talking about.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 am

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 pm
I think you're confused, and also using an ambiguous word to describe what you're talking about and confusing everyone else. No announcements have been made recently about HDHomeRun PRIME 6. The recent announcements were regarding the SCRIBE and SERVIO models. And I think rrussis82 thinking you're using "dropping" as in "abandoning", where you're probably using it like "my new album is dropping next month". HDHomeRun PRIME 6 has not been abandoned, nor has a release date for it been announced.

Quick update. So after doing all the diagnostic stuff that you advised, I decided to start doing a little narrowing down what I could. I got two new cable cards, two new tuning adapters, checked my wiring 4 times against a diagram, tried 3 different cable outlets, and it still won’t pair. They said that everything is perfect on their end and it should work. The tech said that it won’t even try to pair. When they press the button to start the pairing it immediately rejects it.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 am

ocarlisle wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 am
When they press the button to start the pairing it immediately rejects it.
That sounds like that is something on the Cox side (their systems can only be requested to send a signal, there is no feedback). If their system is immediately rejecting the request probably the account is configured wrong in some way.

You should probably wait to see what SD has to say (to see if they have different suggestions), but my guess is that you are going to have to request they escalate internally (their supervisor, CableCARD support, whatever method Cox uses). If they refuse to support you the fall back there is another escalation path regarding filing FCC complaints, but first let them try to get things working.
I’m trying to use Plex DVR
While there may be exceptions, I believe scottd2 is correct regarding all Cox channels requiring a protected path, so Plex is not going to work for you. Currently, only the HDHR ecosystem, or WMC, can view such channels (on selected devices) live, and only WMC can record them (the HDHR ecosystem has recording on the future deliverables list).

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 pm

gtb wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 am
ocarlisle wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 am
When they press the button to start the pairing it immediately rejects it.
That sounds like that is something on the Cox side (their systems can only be requested to send a signal, there is no feedback). If their system is immediately rejecting the request probably the account is configured wrong in some way.

You should probably wait to see what SD has to say (to see if they have different suggestions), but my guess is that you are going to have to request they escalate internally (their supervisor, CableCARD support, whatever method Cox uses). If they refuse to support you the fall back there is another escalation path regarding filing FCC complaints, but first let them try to get things working.
I’m trying to use Plex DVR
While there may be exceptions, I believe scottd2 is correct regarding all Cox channels requiring a protected path, so Plex is not going to work for you. Currently, only the HDHR ecosystem, or WMC, can view such channels (on selected devices) live, and only WMC can record them (the HDHR ecosystem has recording on the future deliverables list).

Are there any providers that do work? Also, is it possible to just use the built in DVR function of the HDHomeRun app and then just sync that with my Plex account?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Cox has no consistent policy for copy protection. Some regions like Phoenix are like ex-TWC Spectrum where all but the locals are protected, while others are like Comcast where only premium channels are. The only way to know for sure is to actually get the card set up. If the channels are protected, they are completely inaccessible to Plex in any format, live or recorded. You may have better luck with another provider, but as far as I know there are only a few areas where Cox directly competes with another provider that uses CableCARD, and those would be parts of Virginia and New England with Verizon as the competition.

And gtb is right, Cox is doing something wrong here. Anything that generates an error on their side is by definition on their end. HDHomeRun PRIME, like other retail CableCARD devices, is a one-way device. It receives signals from the provider but does not transmit anything back. With no way to transmit anything back, there's no way for an error from the HDHomeRun or CableCARD to reach them, so that only place it could come from is their side. Most likely it's something simple like the ID needing the dashes in it, or not needing dashes but they added them anyway, or they're trying to go through the process to validate one of their own boxes instead of a separate process that should be used for one-way devices.

ocarlisle

Post by ocarlisle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm
Cox has no consistent policy for copy protection. Some regions like Phoenix are like ex-TWC Spectrum where all but the locals are protected, while others are like Comcast where only premium channels are. The only way to know for sure is to actually get the card set up. If the channels are protected, they are completely inaccessible to Plex in any format, live or recorded. You may have better luck with another provider, but as far as I know there are only a few areas where Cox directly competes with another provider that uses CableCARD, and those would be parts of Virginia and New England with Verizon as the competition.

And gtb is right, Cox is doing something wrong here. Anything that generates an error on their side is by definition on their end. HDHomeRun PRIME, like other retail CableCARD devices, is a one-way device. It receives signals from the provider but does not transmit anything back. With no way to transmit anything back, there's no way for an error from the HDHomeRun or CableCARD to reach them, so that only place it could come from is their side. Most likely it's something simple like the ID needing the dashes in it, or not needing dashes but they added them anyway, or they're trying to go through the process to validate one of their own boxes instead of a separate process that should be used for one-way devices.

So what you’re saying is that attempting to use Plex DVR with a cable card is basically pointless. And used the HDHR Prime with anything other than the HDHR app is pointless? And the only real way to use it is with an antenna?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm

It depends on the cable provider. If your provider uses DRM protection on most of their channels, then you're effectively limited to WMC or the HDHomeRun app. If they aren't so restrictive, then Plex and other options are viable.