Can you record from a channel you're subscribed to in your cable lineup, but your Prime shows it an unsubscribed?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Billi23
Device ID: 1323AADB

Can you record from a channel you're subscribed to in your cable lineup, but your Prime shows it an unsubscribed?

Post by Billi23 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Just wondering if it would work.
If you're subscribed through your cable provider to that channel, but the Prime says that channel is unsubscribed.

Not talking about DRM channels or specifically the HDHR DVR software, but could any software tune that channel to record from it?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Can you record from a channel you're subscribed to in your cable lineup, but your Prime shows it an unsubscribed?

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:59 pm

It depends on how the software gets its channel lineup. The HDHomeRun DVR gets its lineup on a regular basis from the device, so it will only know about channels that are available as of the last fetch (every 2 hours). WMC does not use the lineup from the HDHomeRun at all, and would work. NextPVR uses the lineup from the HDHomeRun, but only during the initial setup, so as long as the channel is there at first it should work. I don't think OpenDCT/SageTV uses the channel list so I don't think it would be affected. I'm not sure how Plex and Emby handle it since I don't use them on a regular basis.

Billi23
Device ID: 1323AADB

Re: Can you record from a channel you're subscribed to in your cable lineup, but your Prime shows it an unsubscribed?

Post by Billi23 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Can you tell me how often (every 72 hours/random/etc) an HDHR Prime does it's background scanning and is it a specific time of day (like 12AM-3AM, etc).
Trying to work around my Prime dropping my subscribed channels with it's background scans.
Is there something I could block with my firewall to prevent the Prime from doing these background scans, or is it baked in the firmware?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Tvheadend and MythTV will allow you to add any channel regardless of whether the tuner says it is subscribed or not. (This may have changed with MythTV as I understand there have been some changes since I last used it; with Tvheadend every channel must be manually entered or added through a user created M3U playlist, so you have control over which channels the software knows about.)

Additionally, you can manually grab a stream with wget/curl, or through manual tuning with hdhomerun_config; neither of those options rely upon a tuner's internal lineup.