Quatro Not detecting channel

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
rtartar

Quatro Not detecting channel

Post by rtartar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:20 am

I'm in Lakeland, direct shot to tower is 19 miles to towers south of Tampa.

There is a cluster of 5 or 6 towers which all major stations use.

I receive 28, 10, 13 and several others, but cannot receive WFLA which is channel 8.

Is there a way to manual tune the tuner to see if I can modify antenna setups or things like that?

Thanks

I have sent the diagnostic information, my info is:

Hardware Model HDHR5-4US
Firmware Version 20190417
Device ID 1075D180

thanks in advance.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Quatro Not detecting channel

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:46 am

If you are using Windows, browse to c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun and open the hdhomerun_config_gui program. This is a signal monitoring tool. Set to channel 7, which is the frequency WFLA broadcasts on.

My guess is that the issue is antenna-related. WFLA's channel 7 broadcast is the lowest frequency in use in the market. It also transmits with less power of the other main VHF stations 10 and 13. The combination of those makes it the hardest station to receive if you're using an antenna that isn't really designed for VHF, including the common panel-style indoor antennas. If you are using an antenna like that, the reception on VHF frequencies comes from the coax cable rather than the antenna itself, and so adjusting the coax cable positioning will have a big impact on reception. Try to get a 32" length of coax positioned horizontally, perpendicular to a line to the broadcast towers.

rtartar

Post by rtartar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:10 pm

It says signal strenght = 94%, but 0% on signal and symbol quality.

I've tried 2 different antennas.

1st actually works pretty good is the amplified internal antenna that came with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH ... UTF8&psc=1

The other is
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY ... UTF8&psc=1

rtartar

Post by rtartar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, just stretching the cable across the room a little was able to receive the signal. I will mount my other antenna in the attic tomorrow morning, too hot in Florida to do now. The coax going from the attic to the room should be enough hopefully.

rtartar

Post by rtartar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Signal strength = 100%
Signal Quality = 50%
Symbol Quality = 100%

What signal quality that will stay locked?

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:29 pm

50% is the point where all available error recovery data in the broadcast is being used to get the signal. So, it will work, there, but any slight decrease in quality will result in issues. You really want to be higher than that so fluctuations don't hurt you.

Coax running vertically may not be enough for some of the stations. Most TV stations broadcast a signal that requires a horizontally-oriented antenna to receive. The length matters as well, so you might experiment with that 32" I mentioned.