Channel Scan = No Channels Detected

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dlwhite

Channel Scan = No Channels Detected

Post by dlwhite » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:21 am

I have an antique HDHomeRun DUAL - Model: HDHR-US.
I worked great until the wall wort failed several months ago. I finally got around to replacing the power supply and now I'm having problems.
First, on the left hand side of the display, I have a green power indicator. Secondly, the next LED to the right is steadily illuminated (IIRC, this indicates a network connection). Third, the next LED, immediately to the right blinks while running the setup program; otherwise it remains off.
The firmware version is 20170930.
I've downloaded the latest W10 software from Silicon Dust.
When I run the setup utility, it discovers both tuners.
When I run a channel scan on either tuner, it goes through the entire process, starting from channel 69 and working its way to channel one, but it discovers no channels whatsoever. In other words, once the channel scan is complete, it does not populate the "Channel Editor" portion of the setup program with any channel information.
All other ATSC TVs in the house have no trouble detecting 50+ channels.
I've attached the HDHomeRun directly to the antenna coax lead, with no change in behavior.

When I run the HDHomeRun program itself, it detects one device and two tuners. It reports "no channels / scan required"

This part of the device setup is relatively simple, so I'm struggling with what I could be overlooking. The old wall wort still puts out 5V, but when connected to the HDHomeRun, the power LED is very dim and no other LEDs illuminate. As mentioned above, with the new power supply, all of the LEDs are bright and function as expected. I'm wondering if the old power supply could have caused a device failure since I can't think of any other reason it will not successfully complete a channel scan. It seems to me that I might have archived an older version of the HDHomeRun software on my NAS, but a casual search did not locate it. I'll have another look tomorrow. In the meanwhile, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Channel Scan = No Channels Detected

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Where did you get the replacement supply? If it wasn't one purchased from us (just something you had sitting around, or purchased from another seller), it might not meet the requirements for the device. If the device doesn't get a stable enough voltage under load, it will have trouble locking on signals, up to and including not locking at all. If it was from us, then we know it does meet the requirements (because we spent a lot of time testing supplies to find ones that do), and it's probably a hardware issue with the device.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:21 pm

You said you downloaded the latest Windows 10 software, which is probably the Win10 App. Did you also install the general Windows software? ISTR that it's necessary to get the legacy tuners to work with the online guide system. I could be wrong on that.

dlwhite

Post by dlwhite » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:51 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm
Where did you get the replacement supply? If it wasn't one purchased from us (just something you had sitting around, or purchased from another seller), it might not meet the requirements for the device. If the device doesn't get a stable enough voltage under load, it will have trouble locking on signals, up to and including not locking at all. If it was from us, then we know it does meet the requirements (because we spent a lot of time testing supplies to find ones that do), and it's probably a hardware issue with the device.

I didn't see anywhere on the Silicon Dust site, where I could purchase replacement parts (perhaps I should have telephoned Silicon Dust?), so I borrowed a 5V, 2A unit from a buddy, that just happened to have the correct barrel connector. Thankfully, I'm not out any money, so if you could point me towards the appropriate web page/phone number, I will be eternally thankful.

Should I just call (925) 233-2240?
Last edited by dlwhite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlwhite

Post by dlwhite » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm

ebo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:21 pm
You said you downloaded the latest Windows 10 software, which is probably the Win10 App. Did you also install the general Windows software? ISTR that it's necessary to get the legacy tuners to work with the online guide system. I could be wrong on that.

Yes, I did initially install the app, from the Windows app store and I saw that it did not provide any opportunity to perform an initial setup/channel scan. Therefore, I uninstalled it and downloaded/installed the complete Windows software package, from the Silicon Dust site.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Replacement supplies are available from our shop at https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... -adapters/ .

For gen 1 Duals (device IDs starting with 1010-1012), you would need the GEN 3 POWER SUPPLY – (US PRIME) model. For gen 2 (1013-101F) and gen 3 (103) you would need GEN 4 POWER SUPPLY (US CONNECT).

dlwhite

Post by dlwhite » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm
Replacement supplies are available from our shop at https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... -adapters/ .

For gen 1 Duals (device IDs starting with 1010-1012), you would need the GEN 3 POWER SUPPLY – (US PRIME) model. For gen 2 (1013-101F) and gen 3 (103) you would need GEN 4 POWER SUPPLY (US CONNECT).

So, if I understand this correctly, my Device ID of 101C791B, would identify my unit as a Gen 2 device, which would indicate that I need the GEN 4 POWER SUPPLY (US CONNECT), which is equipped with a 2.1mm barrel connector. As my p/s connector has an OD of 5.6mm and an ID of 2.16mm, this would indeed appear to be the correct one.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:16 pm

That is correct.

dlwhite

Post by dlwhite » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:16 pm
That is correct.
The replacement power supply arrived today and I wanted to close the loop with you. It resolved my problem and my HDHomeRun is once again working like new!

Thanks again for your help!

wessir

Post by wessir » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am

I had the same problem. Replacement power supply worked!

konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:19 am

This power supply thing is very annoying. I have the same issue with the failed power supply and using a different 5v/3A got the unit to work but no channel detection (detects ONE EASDT channel that I cannot watch anyway while before would detect about 500).

While waiting for the SiliconDust replacement power supply to arrive, I tried the following (I am an electrical engineer).

1. Tried about 12 (twelve!) other power supplies. Even tried many USB power supplies, even USB power from a USB3.0 pc port, but the power draw from the tuner exceeds the 900mA power max provided by the port.

2. Measure the in load voltage power supplied by the sources (anywhere from 5.1 to 4.75V, steady). No success.

3. Tore apart the failed original power supply and replaced the bloated 2x 1000uF and 1x 330uF capacitors. While now the original power supply works fine (no longer in load voltage falls from 5.1 to 2.5V, but holds steady at 5.1V), still same no channel detection problem

I did not hook up yet the power supply to an oscilloscope to see the waveform and the relative noise that should be below 100mV pp as specified for the finicky tuner.

While I was originally troubleshooting the problem, the unit asked to upgrade the firmware, which I did. I am afraid that the new FW (which I read a lot of negative comments about) may also be a contributing factor to this problem. How do I downgrade the firmware ? I am afraid that I will receive the new power supply (an expensive $15 investment when I have over 30 Cisco 5V/4A power supplies from Cisco C819 routers) and support will just tell me that I have a "bad" unit that worked fine for 7 years until this garbage capacitor equipped power supply failed.

How do I downgrade the firmware ?

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:32 am

Describe your setup, location and provider (I'm assuming cable since you stated you previously got about 500 channels). Modern tuners (those with "official" names such as prime, extend, connect... unlike the unofficially named dual) can't downgrade firmware. Typically from the channel you state that comes in, it sounds more like the cable system encrypted everything and/or you are not scanning for digital cable vs ota.

konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Model HDHR3-CC (3 tuner Prime )
Firmware: 20190621

Comcast cable, Houston, cablecard OK

Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock success
Card Validation success

Windows 7 w/ MediaCenter, Windows 10 with full HDHomerun SW and app, iPad and Samsung S8+, all used to work fine before the failure and FW update.

How do I tell it to scan for cable rather than OTA from the web interface ? From the full app setup I can switch 3 options DigitalCable/CableCARD/disabled, using either of the first 2 I get only that 995 EASDT that raises my blood pressure significantly.

From full appsetup it has the cablecard menu and all the channels listed for the cable, but when it verifies them, it fails.

and all it finds is