Is ConnectPRIME considered a Ti VO device?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
GlamLeatherPunk

Is ConnectPRIME considered a Ti VO device?

Post by GlamLeatherPunk » Tue May 28, 2019 4:31 pm

I recently received an email from Comcast stating that their streaming services will soon stop supporting **** devices because it is an outmoded technology that cannot be upgraded. Would this apply to my ConnectPRIME, since I use cableCARD? In other words, is connectPRIME considered a **** device, since I use my PC's hard drive to record and store programs? I am at the point where, like it or not, I need to lock in a monthly price for the next year or two. I have been very happy with my connectPRIME, and would like to upgrade to the new 6-tuner unit when it comes out, rather than rent one of Comcast's boxes. What are my options at this point?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Is ConnectPRIME considered a **** device?

Post by jasonl » Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm

This appears to be limited to the video on demand services Comcast makes available on some T*** devices, not regular channels. Since HDHomeRun PRIME never accessed VOD to begin with, this would have no impact whatsoever on you now or with the PRIME 6.

https://tinyurl.com/zatzcomcast

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm

GlamLeatherPunk wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:31 pm
I recently received an email from Comcast stating that their streaming services will soon stop supporting **** devices because it is an outmoded technology that cannot be upgraded.
Don't worry, be happy.

The message is about the T-vendor Comcast On-Demand app (the current app tech is very old, both the T-vendor and Comcast have moved to alternatives, but the old app remained).

Comcast presumes that all CableCARD uses are T-vendor users (there is no way to know), and sent the mailing to every CableCARD customer (to be fair, the majority of their CableCARD users are T-vendor customers, so it is not a bad guess).

Your HDHR devices and apps never had access to Comcast On-Demand service. Nothing to see here.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm
This appears to be limited to the video on demand services Comcast makes available on some T*** devices, not regular channels. Since HDHomeRun PRIME never accessed VOD to begin with, this would have no impact whatsoever on you now or with the PRIME 6.

https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-05/xfinit ... on-demand/
Page Not Found

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue May 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Link changed. Apparently the forum bad word filter also replaces the words in URLs.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 28, 2019 4:47 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:44 pm
Link changed. Apparently the forum bad word filter also replaces the words in URLs.
zatznotfunny? Sorry, could not resist...

GlamLeatherPunk

Post by GlamLeatherPunk » Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification! What REALLY irks me, though, is that I was just about ready to upgrade my service with Comcast to obtain a larger number of TV channels. Unfortunately, however, Comcast insists that, in order to upgrade my service with them at all beyond the point where I am now (150 Mbps plus 30 TV channels), I will have to turn in my cableCARD and rent one of THEIR TV boxes (at a cost of $5.00 USD a month!). That is something I refuse to do unless and until there is absolutely, positively NO alternative! :evil:

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 28, 2019 9:16 pm

GlamLeatherPunk wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm
Unfortunately, however, Comcast insists that, in order to upgrade my service with them at all beyond the point where I am now (150 Mbps plus 30 TV channels), I will have to turn in my cableCARD and rent one of THEIR TV boxes (at a cost of $5.00 USD a month!).
Location, location, location, and Comcast did just update certain plans/bundles offerings a few months ago (which I have not really evaluated, although I thought I saw a line item that I will be able to leverage), but while most of the newer bundles have various things like an X1 brand on them, and just default to providing you an X1 box, it at least *was* possible to get an X1 plan and have zero X1 boxen(*). For such unusual transactions I prefer to go to a store in person. However, do not be surprised if you get a "I don't think that can be done" look from the CSR who initially tries to assist you (these types of things are so unusual they simply are not going to have put it into mental muscle memory), and will likely need to talk to a supervisor for assistance.

FWIW, there is also various FCC regulatory requirements which means that they have to support CableCARDs as long as they provide service via linear QAM(**), but there is no requirement it be easy to do so (and Comcast really wants everyone on an X1 box for some future transitions). It should surprise no one that Comcast promotes their solutions over someone else's (it would be like a Ford dealer trying to convince you to go down the street and buy the Silverado rather than the F-150 in their lot because the Chevy is a better truck(***)).

(*) FD: I have an X1 branded bundle, and have zero X1 STBs (just CableCARDs). At the time it was the cheapest way to get the services I wanted at the lowest price point. It came with some features I did not want (and could not use), but it was cheaper than parting out the services/tiers at rack rate. This requires one to carefully read and understand the rate card and requires a very methodical approach (you can't just read the document, you have to understand the interrelationships, explicit requirements, and exclusions) before one goes in and request exactly what you want. Expect the planning and the full eval of the rate cards to take many hours of your time if this is the first time you are reading the rate cards (for those capable of reading regulatory documents, or maybe CableLABs specs, it would probably take very little time).

(**) Actually, that does not appear to be completely true. If you read the FCC regs very carefully, section 47 CFR, par 76.1205, which requires CableCARD support would seem to not apply if the MSO meets certain exclusions as specified in 47 CFR, par 76.1204. However, as of now, no MSO meets the exclusions of ....1204, so CableCARDs are required. And then there are (or I believe were) a few waivers for (typically) very small cable systems for many FCC regs.

(***) The Chevy vs Ford debate has gone on for thousands of years. Generations have fought over the issue. Never underestimate the importance of the issue to some: https://www.thedrive.com/news/27757/for ... l-shooting