Playback stops

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Timknowlden

Playback stops

Post by Timknowlden » Mon May 27, 2019 1:24 am

I have just installed my hdhomerun duo.

I have 2 firestick 4K, 1 iOS device and 1 windows 10 laptop.

The playback will stutter when streaming to 2 devices at once and will stop all together after half a minute or so when just watching 1 stream

I’m just using it basic at the moment. No DVR

Any suggestions before I return it?

I usually use satellite to my Zgemma boxes and this has no playback issues.

My idea was to get everything through firestick

rrussis82

Re: Playback stops

Post by rrussis82 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:14 am

My guess would be your wifi. is it AC Wireless with good reception to your firesticks? is the duo connected directly to the router? It sounds like there is a limiting factor somewhere on your network.

When you say satellite i'm sure you don't mean you are attempting to watch satellite through the HDHomerun as it is not designed to do so.

Another thing to check is if its your reception, try plugging in the antenna to a TV to verify the channels are not skipping and freezing.

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Mon May 27, 2019 7:33 am

Hi,

It is wireless but brilliant signal to firestick and homerun is connected via home plug to router.

Signal is great to all TVs via aerial.

I am not connecting satellite to this box. It is just satellite is what I’m converting from with this new setup and the satellite works well on my home network, but does not have the functionality of being able to work via firestick as this is.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:18 am

I do recall when firestick 4k came out people were reporting having problems deinterlacing and they were supposed to come out with an update to fix it. not sure if it has come out or not, but try checking for an update in the firestick 4k.

Other than those, I would open a support ticket including your device ID on the bottom of the HDHomerun and turning on diagnostics on the APP on the Firestick

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 am

Firesticks are as up to date as possible.

I think I will just return the homerun.

The interface for the homerun is awful and using the channels app is a monthly fee.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 am

HDHomerun really is a good system, don't give up on it because Amazon is slow to update the interlacing in their new 4K Stick. I would return the 4K sticks and get a Jetstream or MiBox at Walmart, they are AndroidTV boxes and have other choices to view TV if you do not like SDs UI. you mentioned you do not like Channels cost, Plex and Emby are cheaper but AndroidTV has the free APP called Live Channels which also allows DVR capabilities as long as you have storage hooked up to the box. Jetstream (I may be wrong because I don't own one) I believe has an SD card slot as well as USB.

AndroidTV Live Channels is similar to the FireTV Guide where sources can be added, SD has set it up so the Homerun can be viewed in the FireTV Guide but Amazon hasn't whitelisted it nor do we know if they ever will. Google has and it works in Live Channels on AndroidTV. I believe I have seen a poster on here also sideloaded Live Channels onto a FireTV device.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue May 28, 2019 7:54 am

There could be a number of issues. Personally I would start with the network and run a low level packet loss test (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5877 , particularly the second post in that thread). My personal preference would be all wired devices (including AP/router) connected by a switch, HomePlug was mentioned... the only thing in the path I would use with that (at least for troubleshooting) is internet connection (i.e. wired devices, including tuner, pc's and AP connected to switch, homeplug is only used as connection to router (not for wifi) to get an internet connection).

Some of the terminology used by OP makes me think location might be UK which also may require a filter... the original topic of such is now gone but there is a more recent post by jasonl that mentions the filter suggested
jasonl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am
You're definitely picking up some interference from something. I think the high pass filter would help. First item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/d70.html .
You may wish to enable sending of diagnostics data to SD and running a channel scan and report your deviceID... it also wouldn't hurt to enable sending of diagnostics data in the app (on android/firetv the menu is got to by play/pause 13 times (some controllers it may be 26)) and attempting to watch a problem channel for several minutes (even if it stalls). They would need your DeviceID to look at anything.

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 am
HDHomerun really is a good system, don't give up on it because Amazon is slow to update the interlacing in their new 4K Stick. I would return the 4K sticks and get a Jetstream or MiBox at Walmart, they are AndroidTV boxes and have other choices to view TV if you do not like SDs UI. you mentioned you do not like Channels cost, Plex and Emby are cheaper but AndroidTV has the free APP called Live Channels which also allows DVR capabilities as long as you have storage hooked up to the box. Jetstream (I may be wrong because I don't own one) I believe has an SD card slot as well as USB.

AndroidTV Live Channels is similar to the FireTV Guide where sources can be added, SD has set it up so the Homerun can be viewed in the FireTV Guide but Amazon hasn't whitelisted it nor do we know if they ever will. Google has and it works in Live Channels on AndroidTV. I believe I have seen a poster on here also sideloaded Live Channels onto a FireTV device.
It has the potential to be great, but definately needs a grid guide for a start.

I like the firesticks as when wall mounted it is hidden behind the TV and supports 4k Prime video and Netflix as well as IPTV. I use them all the time and the reason for Homerun was to then get a DVR on them.

Channels DVR is the best UI so far, Plex is great but the WD My Cloud Home NAS I have does not support Grid Guide in Plex. (outdated Plex server version and no ability to update manually) I already use Plex on my firesticks for Series and Films though so would of been nice to intergrate into here.

I will however look into these other devices but I know some boxes dont all support Netflix, Prime, Plex, IPTV.
Last edited by Timknowlden on Tue May 28, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Tue May 28, 2019 10:22 am

signcarver wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:54 am
There could be a number of issues. Personally I would start with the network and run a low level packet loss test (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5877 , particularly the second post in that thread). My personal preference would be all wired devices (including AP/router) connected by a switch, HomePlug was mentioned... the only thing in the path I would use with that (at least for troubleshooting) is internet connection (i.e. wired devices, including tuner, pc's and AP connected to switch, homeplug is only used as connection to router (not for wifi) to get an internet connection).

Some of the terminology used by OP makes me think location might be UK which also may require a filter... the original topic of such is now gone but there is a more recent post by jasonl that mentions the filter suggested
jasonl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am
You're definitely picking up some interference from something. I think the high pass filter would help. First item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/d70.html .
You may wish to enable sending of diagnostics data to SD and running a channel scan and report your deviceID... it also wouldn't hurt to enable sending of diagnostics data in the app (on android/firetv the menu is got to by play/pause 13 times (some controllers it may be 26)) and attempting to watch a problem channel for several minutes (even if it stalls). They would need your DeviceID to look at anything.
Hi Thanks for the advice, I have done a lowe level packet loss test. result was:

C:\Users\Tim>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/vchannel 104

C:\Users\Tim>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 null
n..n..n..n..n..n.....n...n.n..n

I have enabled sending diagnostic data to SD and also on firetv.

You are correct, I'm in the UK and this is the only real option I have of FTA TV via firestick. Recast and Tablo unavailable.

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Tue May 28, 2019 11:33 am

Another update,

Moved the HDHR to plug directly into the router and now the packet loss is 100% ...........

will continue to test.

Timknowlden

Post by Timknowlden » Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Another update.

Recordered a show using channels dvr.. click on watch and it never loads