Using Prime and Quatro on the same system

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tirebiter

Using Prime and Quatro on the same system

Post by tirebiter » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 am

I have had a Homerun Prime for a few years, using a FIOS MCard, but it only provides two tuners. I use it with WMC which offers all the DVR features I want. Except there are frequently more than two shows that I want to record, airing at the same time.

I bought a Quatro recently and have it set up at a remote location. Unfortunately, it is around 40-60 miles from the broadcasters, and even though I have an amplified, long distance antenna, the signal quality varies from good to horrible, day to day. Maybe it's the leafing of the trees, or other atmospheric disturbances, I don't know. Two days ago, all the recordings were worthless, last night they were acceptable. Reception seems better in daytime than at night. I can't explain this variation.

I would like to take the Quatro to the same location as the Prime, because it's in a city and should get good reception.

My question is, if I install the Quatro alongside the Prime, will WMC see all 6 tuners and know that two of them are cable and four of them are OTA?

Thanks.
Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Using Prime and Quatro on the same system

Post by signcarver » Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 am

The better question would be why is your prime only getting 2 tuners... it should be 3. WMC (by default) only allows 4 tuners of a given type. However ota, clear qam, and cablecard are the different types so even without any addons to increase tuner limit, there should not be an issue.

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 am

I have battled with Verizon several times over that 3rd tuner. They now claim that their MCard only supports one tuner. They ignore that I am getting two tuners on the card.

I've had other FIOS users tell me they get 3 tuners, but I can't get past Verizon technical support telling me that it isn't possible. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation about the different types of tuners. It will be a few days until I can try it out.

I appreciate the quick and helpful reply.

Regards,
Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 am

FCC requires cablecards to support at least 4 streams and if they offer a box that supports more, the cablecard must also support more (motos which verizon uses always supported 4 unless it was an early s-card which is single stream, older cablecard firmware on Cisco's only supported 2 but hasn't been that way for several years)... for the person who stated one, they were either referring to an s-card or a single "device" not tuners. You may wish to state streams not tuners as some take tuners to mean device not how many tuners are in the device each capable of tuning a stream (or full physical channel if not encrypted)

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 am

tirebiter wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 am
I have battled with Verizon several times over that 3rd tuner.
While not especially common, there are reported cases of where a HDHR that does not work with all the tuners at the same time is due to the power supply going bad. It never hurts to try a replacement that meets the specifications(*) for testing.

(*) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19204

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm

I think you're missing the most likely explanation here, which is that WMC's CableCARD support is flaky. I suppose it might be a hardware issue, but 99% chance the CableCARD and third tuner are perfectly fine and it's just a glitch in WMC. Easy test, start 2 recordings in WMC and then open the HDHomeRun app and see if you can watch live TV.