Missing Channels After Warranty Replacement

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Metrics

Missing Channels After Warranty Replacement

Post by Metrics » Sun May 19, 2019 6:47 pm

My first Quatro was great and got all the channels as my TV picked up. Well the network port went out, was still under warranty and my replacement device is now set up. The problem is, I am missing half the channels that I go before and what my TV gets still. Nothing else has changed in my setup except swapping out the defective device for the replacement. I have the Config GUI and have gone through the setup software. I am stuck, the only thing I can thing of is that the signal strength threshold was raised in the latest firmware.

Hardware Model HDHR5-4US
Firmware Version 20190516beta2
Device ID 1074B4ED

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Missing Channels After Warranty Replacement

Post by jasonl » Mon May 20, 2019 3:24 pm

The beta firmware is the same as the previous release except for the version number.

It looks like you made some adjustments and things are coming in a bit better now. In the last scan, the only channel I'm seeing that has sufficient signal strength but not enough quality to lock on is KNVA (CW/Austin). Everything else is below the 50% strength threshold where you might have a chance of receiving it. What's your antenna setup and what zip code are you in?

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you for the reply.
ZIP 76537 - no tower is more than 50 mi away, most are under 40. I have my antenna point slightly SW to hit the Austin towers, but I also had some Waco channels to the NE (not many and don't care). I had 11 months of uptime with this configuration prior to the replacement device.

I have 2 attic mounted antenna UHF and VHF, this is the setup in connected order
- RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi VHF Antenna with 70 Mile Range
- 8 Element Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor UHF Antenna - 70 Mile Range
-- ChannelPlus Linear 2512 DC & IR Passing 2-Way Splitter/Combiner
-- Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV Preamplifier (10x Power, Low Noise, 20 dB Max Gain)
-- Channel Master LTE Filter
-- About 25 ft coax
-- Winegard LNA-100 Boost TV Antenna Amplifier
-- HDHomerun Quatro

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I would suggest starting by removing the LNA-100, since it's not doing anything good if you have it connected directly to the HDHomeRun. You may also want to check the LNA-200 and make sure it's actually getting power, since your signals seem to be a lot weaker than they should be with that setup at that location. Most of Jarrell generally has good signals, except for the low-lying areas along the creeks and ponds.

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

The LNA-200 is a pre-amp its un-powered. The LNA-100 has been removed for testing already. I had 11 months of good signal and run time with this setup. The only thing new is the replacement Quatro.

sspell

Post by sspell » Thu May 23, 2019 5:50 am

The Winegard LNA-200 has a powered usb inserter goes inline to the coax it is a power supply for the pre amp. It won't work without that.
The power inserter is white in this photo

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 am

Metrics wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm
The only thing new is the replacement Quatro.
And, possibly, the vegetation that has grown up. Read up on Fresnel zones.

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 am

sspell wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:50 am
The Winegard LNA-200 has a powered usb inserter goes inline to the coax it is a power supply for the pre amp. It won't work without that.
The power inserter is white in this photo
Oh that's interesting. When I bought this new off Amazon from Winegard last year it did not have a power inserter and it was only $27.80 not $42. I'll be reaching out to them, and follow up here if that doesn't resolve the issue. Thanks for you assistance.
Edit: Reached out to their chat support, told them when and where I bought it. Immediately offered to send out the missing parts. So we'll see what happens when it gets here.

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

So basically you have attenuating the signal a lot. Also putting two preamps on the same coax run makes no sense. You will overdrive the equipment receiving the signal thus potentially damaging the equipment.

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Metrics wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm
Thank you for the reply.
ZIP 76537 - no tower is more than 50 mi away, most are under 40. I have my antenna point slightly SW to hit the Austin towers, but I also had some Waco channels to the NE (not many and don't care). I had 11 months of uptime with this configuration prior to the replacement device.

I have 2 attic mounted antenna UHF and VHF, this is the setup in connected order
- RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi VHF Antenna with 70 Mile Range
- 8 Element Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor UHF Antenna - 70 Mile Range
-- ChannelPlus Linear 2512 DC & IR Passing 2-Way Splitter/Combiner
-- Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV Preamplifier (10x Power, Low Noise, 20 dB Max Gain)
-- Channel Master LTE Filter
-- About 25 ft coax
-- Winegard LNA-100 Boost TV Antenna Amplifier
-- HDHomerun Quatro
So basically you have attenuating the signal a lot. Also putting two preamps on the same coax run makes no sense. You will overdrive the equipment receiving the signal thus potentially damaging the equipment.
Just wanted to clarify some things, since I just got the supposed "missing" parts (power injector) to the LNA-200. I am combining the UHF/VHF signals and immediately running into ONE un-powered pre-amp, then a 25ft coax run with a LNA-100 right before the Quatro.
Per the manufacturer the power inserter comes after the pre-amp, so it does not power it (unless it powers it upstream?), and the LNA-100 serves the same purpose.
So I am still missing half the channels I had prior to replacement.
Any additional thoughts?
I think I might be creating multipath interference with the combiner.
Last edited by Metrics on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Preamps are normally designed to be installed at the antenna, typically bolted to the mast, either outdoors or in the attic. Most homes don't have power in these locations, so a separate power injector is provided. The injector plugs in indoors at a convenient location, and runs power back up the coax to the preamp. An unpowered preamp is worse than useless; most of them significantly weaken the signal if they are not receiving power. An amp directly before whatever is receiving the signal is also useless, since an amplifier cannot make the signal better, all it can do is minimize losses downstream due to long cable runs and splits. If there is no cable run and there are no splits, it's just adding noise.

You should have either 0 or 1 amplifiers, and if it is 1, it should be installed at the antenna. With that location and those antennas I'd lean towards no amplifier to start, and only add one if it really seems to be needed. And, even before adding the amplifier, I'd replace the combiner with a proper UHF/VHF combiner like https://www.radioshack.com/products/rad ... r-combiner to prevent the signals from the different antennas from competing with each other. UHF leg goes to the bowties, VHF leg to the RCA.

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Ok that explains it better, I converted my attic switch to a combo switch plug so I can connect it in the attic. I was just looking at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z ... 48cce417b4
Thanks again for helping me, I am learning a lot.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:44 pm

That would also work in place of the Radio Shack one.

Metrics

Post by Metrics » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Still waiting on the proper UHF/VHF combiner, should be here sometime this evening. Got the power injector installed in the attic though. Getting 71 glorious channels now! VHF still has artifacts technically only need it for FOX during football season, hoping combiner fixes that.