Jittery and pixelated video - DarrenWBaker

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
DarrenWBaker

Jittery and pixelated video - DarrenWBaker

Post by DarrenWBaker » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 am

I have a HD Homerun Prime 3. I am experiencing jittery and pixelated video also. I have had it since 2013 and it used to work great. now it happens on all connected streaming devices (Apple TV/Channels & Windows 10 HDPrime app), even ones that are directly wired so I dont believe its a bandwith issue. I replaced the cablecard, and the issue remains. It says I have the latest firmware. The Prime is connected directly to the FIOS router.

I have a Verizon supplied tuner and it does not experience the jittery and pixelated video

Hardware Model HDHR3-CC
Firmware Version 20190417
Signal Strength 83% (-10.4 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (36.0 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 14.908 Mbps

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer Arris/Motorola
Card Authentication success
Card Validation none
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 95% (-3.0 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.5 dB)
Channel List cablecard-oob

techpro2004

Re: Jittery and pixelated video - DarrenWBaker

Post by techpro2004 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 am

Your cablecard is not validated. Try calling verizon and get them to manually validate it. I have had to have them do this in the past as well.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat May 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Lack of validation will only affect the ability to watch DRM channels, it won't cause video issues.

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data, run a channel scan, and watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

DarrenWBaker

Post by DarrenWBaker » Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 am

I spent some time with Verizon, and came out with an interesting conclusion. The cable decoder card in the Prime 3 only works well when Verizon's cable box is plugged in and connected. Since I just moved, my intention was to keep their decoder only long enough to ensure the Prime 3 works and return the Verizon box. If I remove the Verizon box, the Prime 3 has issues. When the Verizon box is connected to the network, the Prime 3 works great. I guess I will continue to rent one of their boxes, even though I am not using it, to stream from the Prime 3 to all other devices in my house.

For now, my issue is solved, but I would like to know why this is the case.

DarrenWBaker

Post by DarrenWBaker » Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am

techpro2004 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 am
Your cablecard is not validated. Try calling verizon and get them to manually validate it. I have had to have them do this in the past as well.
The Verzion technician was present to validate it when they installed at the new house.

But, thanks, that was a good idea. I have had that issue before.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am

DarrenWBaker wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 am
I spent some time with Verizon, and came out with an interesting conclusion. The cable decoder card in the Prime 3 only works well when Verizon's cable box is plugged in and connected. Since I just moved, my intention was to keep their decoder only long enough to ensure the Prime 3 works and return the Verizon box. If I remove the Verizon box, the Prime 3 has issues. When the Verizon box is connected to the network, the Prime 3 works great. I guess I will continue to rent one of their boxes, even though I am not using it, to stream from the Prime 3 to all other devices in my house.

For now, my issue is solved, but I would like to know why this is the case.
That makes absolutely no sense... if anything the opposite should be true as the MoCA capability of the box has been known to cause issues if there isn't a MoCA filter on the prime. If Verizon used SDV, having a box "could" help with some TA issues, but verizon doesn't use SDV. I'd be looking at the ONT/ONU and various power levels.

Edit: in lines of thinking about MoCA, perhaps when the box is on, the MoCA power levels are lower (I have had to set it as low as 70% in some installs)... either way, I do suggest a filter on the prime.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon May 20, 2019 3:34 pm

All I can think of would be that maybe you're getting some outside signals leaking in when the box is disconnected, or if you're removing a splitter when removing the box, maybe there's some overload and the decrease in strength due to the split brings it below the point where that happens. Usually the signal from the ONT is very strong but not so strong that it would cause overload, but maybe yours is different. Would need diagnostic data to confirm. Either way, Verizon's conclusion is wrong. There is no need to use one of their boxes, and there are a lot of people who have a CableCARD as the only TV equipment on their account.