HBO and HDHRPRIME. I keep trying and failing to record.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tclilly

HBO and HDHRPRIME. I keep trying and failing to record.

Post by tclilly » Mon May 13, 2019 4:09 am

Hello. I keep trying to record my favorite show on HBO. But alas nothing but black on replay on my Windows 10 PC. Question... Must the recording protocol be loaded onto PC which has the HDCP compliant monitor? This is the only thing i don't have. I have the recording software enabled on a small unit and it distributes the video back to all my devices. Can the recorder be activated on two machines in the same household?? Reason--> i don't wish to use up the Hard Drive space on my main machine.

rpcameron

Re: HBO and HDHRPRIME. I keep trying and failing to record.

Post by rpcameron » Mon May 13, 2019 6:05 am

DRM recording is not available. Only live viewing of DRM content is supported.

greynolds

Post by greynolds » Mon May 13, 2019 5:53 pm

You could use Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 or 8.1 to record HBO. However, Windows Media Center really isn't an ideal long term solution at this point since Microsoft abandoned it after Windows 8.1 and it isn't supported on Windows 10 (some people have had success hacking together a solution, but I wouldn't want to rely on it). If you do decide to give Windows Media Center a try, I highly recommend the EPG123 program for loading the guide data as it uses the guide data from Schedules Direct.

tclilly

Post by tclilly » Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Thank you. But for some reason I thought since we could watch premium on Win10 that we could record it. Oh gosh. Too bad. Thanks!

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 am

tclilly wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 pm
Thank you. But for some reason I thought since we could watch premium on Win10 that we could record it. Oh gosh. Too bad. Thanks!
Recording content that requires a protected path is still on the future feature deliverable list. No specific target dates have been shared (which is probably just as well, as when it comes to protected path required solutions, dates always slip, and some people tend to get cranky every time a date slips).

greynolds

Post by greynolds » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 am

Given that this is the SiliconDust hardware forum and there's another forum for their software, it's important to differentiate that this is not a hardware issue. It's an issue with their HDHomeRun LiveTV / DVR software package and is really better discussed in their HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR) (viewforum.php?f=119) forum.

The fact that people are cranky over date slips is kind of reasonable at this point as DRM recording was promised a LONG time ago and was a major consideration for quite a few people who contributed to the Kickstarter campaign. We're also STILL waiting for the 6 tuner version of the Prime...