fewer channels after upgrade to HD Homerun Connected Quatro

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
carlitoswayz

fewer channels after upgrade to HD Homerun Connected Quatro

Post by carlitoswayz » Fri May 10, 2019 7:44 am

I had a HD HomeRun - Dual ATSC Tuner (older model) which I felt was starting to get flaky. I upgraded (purchased it 3 days ago) to the HD HomeRun Connect Quatro. I just removed the old one - swapped devices along with power supply - connected the same antenna and now the Quatro is getting about 20 fewer channels.

I started moving the antenna around, nothing. I added an amplifier which I have but never needed before, no change, Same 40 channels. I did see 44 channels once but it went away after another scan.

My problems is that the new tuner, or so I thought, would be more sensitive and would get better reception. It is missing the one channel for which I purchased the tuner for. ABC - Channel 7 in new york. Never had a problem. In fact, the TV's I have usually get that channel with no problem and the other channels are flaky.

Just can't understand why. Then I put the old tuner back and it is getting fewer channels than before.

Anyone has ideas why this would be so? This was working on my old tuner 3 days ago no problem

I have sent diagnostics to SiliconDust and submitted a help ticket but I am guessing it will be a while before I get a response, I figure the forums would be a better source of info.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

markfromBrooklyn

Re: fewer channels after upgrade to HD Homerun Connected Quatro

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am

Sometimes tuners can be overloaded by strong signals. You might try adding an attenuator or splitter before the Quatro and see whether that helps. (without the amplifier).

carlitoswayz

Post by carlitoswayz » Fri May 10, 2019 9:03 am

markfromBrooklyn wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am
Sometimes tuners can be overloaded by strong signals. You might try adding an attenuator or splitter before the Quatro and see whether that helps. (without the amplifier).
Thank you for replying and the suggestion.

I used an ANTRONIX 3 way splitter 5-1002Mhz model CMC2003H-A
It has 2 outs at -7dB and one at -3.5dB.

I tried both and scanned after each time. Same 40 channels.
Not sure why. I am trying to better my knowledge of RF since I am not sure how the signal would be affected or enhanced in this particular case.

Thanks again

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 am

Run HDHomeRun Config GUI (located in the HDHR program directory) to see if the signal strength is too high or too low. 100% is the maximum reading so if it says that, it could be much higher. Ideally, the strongest station should be a little lower than 100%.

An aside to the SD folks: Why not change the program to read higher than 100%? Maybe even change the green bar to red when it exceeds 100%. Then we'd have some idea how much too high it is. Also, have the installation add a link to Config GUI in the Start menu and a user option to add a desktop shortcut. Most new users don't even know the program exists.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun May 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.