2 sets of Cable channels?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
spencer777

2 sets of Cable channels?

Post by spencer777 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:37 am

Since Spectrum eliminated the need for STB'S , How would I set up a prime? Is it a matter of splitting the cable that goes into my modem. Does Spectrum send out two sets of cable channels one for streaming and one mpeg 2 that you need a cable card? Fyi the Spectrum cloud dvr is terrible.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: 2 sets of Cable channels?

Post by signcarver » Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 am

Usually it is a "different" plan for "no" stb's... if they eliminate them entirely then no cablecard as everything is iptv. (note that modern STB's can also work with iptv and don't require an rf tuning option).

Typically their streaming option is an "add-on" (though may be included) with a traditional plan which you can add a cablecard device with... there is also an iptv only version that won't work with cablecard.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:08 am

signcarver wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 am
Usually it is a "different" plan for "no" stb's... if they eliminate them entirely then no cablecard as everything is iptv. (note that modern STB's can also work with iptv and don't require an rf tuning option).

Typically their streaming option is an "add-on" (though may be included) with a traditional plan which you can add a cablecard device with... there is also an iptv only version that won't work with cablecard.
I know you can use a STB and a Streaming device, so Streaming is included. When I chose their Silver plan it gave me an option to add an STB or Apple TV. I choose the Apple TV, hoping to add a Prime.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am

The silver plan is (usually) considered a "traditional" tv plan so you should be able to add a cablecard device... however they may have put you in an iptv bracket since you chose an IPTV "source" which sometimes the system will block adding on a card... my recommendation is generally to get a STB when ordering as typically it will "ensure" you are in an RF plan rather than an IP plan and usually it is easier to add a cablecard to it. Since the newer boxes can also work with ip, they allow them to be added, even if they actually use rf as the source (since it is available). Where you would usually end up with more trouble is with the "streaming only" essentials plan.

They are not considered "2 sets of channels" but are considered the "same" set delivered differently though some channels may not be available on one or the other as there may be a channel delivered ip only while there may also be some networks who refuse to "allow" ip delivery or VOD- or at least without getting lots more money. Also the ip version may not double list some entries like an rf version might so the numbers may "appear" different, though usually the same number scheme is available over rf, if they use numbers at all- some providers choose to go by name rather than number for ip services as it makes such more "national".

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm

signcarver wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am
Where you would usually end up with more trouble is with the "streaming only" essentials plan.
Also (in at least some markets) the "Choice" plan, where some people have reportedly been told that they cannot get a CableCARD for a T-vendor device on that plan (even though that does not really make sense, and at least initially you *could* use a CableCARD with "Choice", but the reports of it not being allowed are only recent(*)).

(*) I have no idea if the CSRs are misinformed, or are confused regarding the alternative Essential plans, or whether Charter has changed the rules/processes/procedures for Choice.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:32 pm

gtb wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm
signcarver wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am
Where you would usually end up with more trouble is with the "streaming only" essentials plan.
Also (in at least some markets) the "Choice" plan, where some people have reportedly been told that they cannot get a CableCARD for a T-vendor device on that plan (even though that does not really make sense, and at least initially you *could* use a CableCARD with "Choice", but the reports of it not being allowed are only recent(*)).

(*) I have no idea if the CSRs are misinformed, or are confused regarding the alternative Essential plans, or whether Charter has changed the rules/processes/procedures for Choice.
Everything depends on the rep you talk to. I added the Cloud DVR to Silver and other reps told me I couldn't. FYI you can't record HBO on Streaming either. I guess my next step is asking Spectrum what I need to use a cable card.