No Channels Discovered - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
LDShadowLord

No Channels Discovered - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro

Post by LDShadowLord » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:23 am

Hey,
Was recommended this unit to match with my Plex Pass subscription as it was on the confirmed to work list, but am having some issues.
I'm in the Granada region of the UK, and should be able to receive about 100+ channels using this unit and my aerial, but it's struggling to find even 1. I'm not sure what the issue is, and I don't have equipment capable of testing the signals.

I'm using the popular RGTech Monarch 50 un-amplified Aerial, in an upstairs window facing south.
I have the HDHomeRun Connect Quatro with the latest firmware, and the unit is set to send diagnostic information.

Code: Select all

Model: HDHR5-4DT 
Device ID: 12518D49 
Firmware: 20190417
I would appreciate some assistance. Much thanks, -LD.

KryptoNyte

Re: No Channels Discovered - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:09 am

In this video, start at about 10:20 and verify that you have performed the steps from the Quickstart Guide;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsWA8q8tpk

At 11:46, it shows the channel lineup for the channels found, being sure that "Antenna" is selected in the pull-down beside the "detect channels" button.

Have you gotten that far?

LDShadowLord

Post by LDShadowLord » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am

KryptoNyte wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:09 am
At 11:46, it shows the channel lineup for the channels found, being sure that "Antenna" is selected in the pull-down beside the "detect channels" button.
So that drop-down does not exist, I only have a button that says "Detect Channels". Which reports no results. When I used the Plex menu to attempt to add it, that did have an option for Antenna, and that was the *only* option available to me.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am

Okay, so maybe that pull-down option is no longer available, or not available for your model and region. Have you tried hooking the Antenna up to a TV directly and letting the TV scan for channels to see if that part is working and channels are available? How about moving/rotating/aiming the antenna in a different direction?

LDShadowLord

Post by LDShadowLord » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 am

KryptoNyte wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am
Have you tried hooking the Antenna up to a TV directly and letting the TV scan for channels to see if that part is working and channels are available?
I don't own a TV, so I can't connect it directly. If I find a device to test it with, I can report back. But right now the only device I own that has the connector to plug the antenna in, is the HDHomeRun.
KryptoNyte wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am
How about moving/rotating/aiming the antenna in a different direction?
I tried facing it the opposite direction, and I also place it on a table while I ran a test, and both of those returned no results also.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am

You probably wouldn't have such drop down as yours is ota only, as it is dvb-t/t2 (much older non t2 tuners may have also done dvb-c, US models have atsc for ota or clear qam for cable).

Often in the UK a filter is needed for lte and some other interference (i believe it was from dab radio signals or such). As for "equipment" testing the signal, the device itself should suffice. I would try hdhomerun_config_gui but how you get to it depends on platform. If signal levels are at 100%, try to attenuate the signal down as you don't know how much above 100% it is and too hot a signal can cause issues.

I also suggest turning on the sending of diagnostics data and running a channel scan.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:44 am

I'm not familiar with the "Freeview" network that's described here and how that applies to compatibility with the Quatro;

http://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/uk-g ... eeview-tv/

Hopefully someone that knows the UK broadcast system will stop in and comment.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:47 am

It does say here;

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-quatro/

that the UK version is setup for freeview.

4 tuners
Receives DVB-T and DVB-T2 digital TV – Freeview HD
Works with our HDHomeRun DVR service
100baseTX high-speed network
2 year warranty
Please note: This product HDHR5-4DT(UK) is designed for use in the UK and will only work in the UK and other regions using the DVB-T or DVB-T2 broadcast standards.

So it must be something with the antenna/range.

This webpage seems to show which channels are available by address;
https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:50 am

signcarver wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am
You probably wouldn't have such drop down as yours is ota only, as it is dvb-t/t2 (much older non t2 tuners may have also done dvb-c, US models have atsc for ota or clear qam for cable).

Often in the UK a filter is needed for lte and some other interference (i believe it was from dab radio signals or such). As for "equipment" testing the signal, the device itself should suffice. I would try hdhomerun_config_gui but how you get to it depends on platform. If signal levels are at 100%, try to attenuate the signal down as you don't know how much above 100% it is and too hot a signal can cause issues.

I also suggest turning on the sending of diagnostics data and running a channel scan.
Ah, I missed this post. I was hoping someone that knew the system would pop in.

LDShadowLord

Post by LDShadowLord » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 am

signcarver wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am

I've enabled the Diagnostics data and have run several channel scans, so there should be plenty of data to go around.

The antenna itself claims to have a 4G filter, though as to how effective it is that is unknown. I also found the HDHomeRun Config GUI software and the signal strengths seem to fluctuate from 20% to 50%, with most signal strengths in the 40-50% area. Also occasionally the signal strength will spike to 100%. Not sure if this is a good sign or not. The Signal Quality stays at 0% though. Other channels, including channels that are being broadcast from towers only 20km away, all report similar signal levels.

I imagine that isn't good.

LDShadowLord

Post by LDShadowLord » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:37 pm

A friend was kind enough to lend me their TV for half an hour, and connecting the antenna the TV was unable to find any channels.
I've purchased a new antenna, and i'll see if that helps us all.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm

What postcode are you in?

LDShadowLord

Post by LDShadowLord » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm
What postcode are you in?
The FY3 area of Blackpool.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:20 pm

From what I can tell, your local transmitter is Winter Hill, and that's a good 40km southeast of Blackpool, down almost to Bolton. If the aerial is facing due south, that would put the broadcast tower about 55-60 degrees off, which would be enough to dramatically hurt reception. You'd want to rotate the aerial so that it's facing more southeast, probably about 120-125 degrees or so on a compass. Also make sure that the aerial is oriented correctly, with the widest part horizontal. You may need to look at using a proper directional aerial installed in the attic or outdoors. 40km is really pushing the limits of what an indoor antenna is going to be able to do in the UK.