New firmware autodownload causing glitches

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jimmersd

New firmware autodownload causing glitches

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:39 pm

The last couple of times SD has released firmware I had no way to know until I noticed that my TV started to hickup and glitch. Once upon a time I was very dialed into the day to day operation of my homemade system and was a frequent lurker here on this board. I am still using WMC W7 on most of the system and a Synology DS and XBOX One on the rest. Before I saw that there was a new FW released that there was one my system started freezing and pixelating. I went through my standard troubleshooting routine. Reboot the Primes and their tuning adapters. Reboot my DS and the WMC computer etc. Reset my devices on the cable company site to no avail. But I didn't check the my.hdhomerun page right away.

When I did, eventually, I saw that there was a new FW update released.. I updated the tuners and other devices and the glitchy pixelie crap ceased. This whole process reminded me that I had been through this before...in October. Any way to head this off?

Email? Text? Semaphore? I really don't hang out here much any more.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: New firmware autodownload causing glitches

Post by jasonl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:06 pm

One has nothing to do with the other. There weren't even any reception-related changes in the new firmware.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 pm

New firmware was released today and video has begun freezing until I update the software and firmware on all of my equipment and reboot. I am afraid that one DOES have something to do with the other. Signal was solid until today.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm

What model of HDHomeRun and what is the channel callsign?

Nick

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 am

I have 3 tuners. 2 Primes and a Quatro. The Primes are on Spectrum Digital using Tuning Adapters and Cablecards I am using a Synology Diskstation for the DVR and also have a Windows 7 WMC rig. The Diskstation supplies video to a XBox One. The WMC rig supplies 2 TVs through a Ceton and an XBox 360. Everything is stable until the firmware is released. Then I start to see freezes and glitches.

When I see this I know to go to my.hdhomerun.com to see if there is a firmware update.

I am in the process of changing over to the DVR system. Yeah sort of a kludge but it works.

I am seeing the glitches mostly on cable with the Primes, I can't say if the Quatro has the problem but the give away is that it happens on both the DS and WMC rigs. And it persists until I update and reboot.

Is there supposed to be some kind of notification that scrolls on the TV that says there is an update? I don't see anything like that but it might make sense if there were.