Missing channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ptaylor

Missing channels

Post by ptaylor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Back a few weeks or so I noticed that channel 12 and 25 here in Jacksonville Florida stopped working with my Quattro. I tried moving the antenna a little and got no where. I swapped back to an older antenna that I had previously used in approximately the same location and still got nothing. Tonight, I swapped my Quad tuner out for an older dual tuner. It also doesn’t find these channels. I even swapped out the coax cable.

Have these local channels stopped broadcasting? Anyone else here in the Jacksonville area experiencing problems with these channels?

ptaylor

Re: Missing channels

Post by ptaylor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Additional info - most of the other major channels in the area are being seen fine by both tuners (4, 17, 30, 47)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:51 pm

12 and 25 are broadcasting on VHF, while the other Jacksonville stations (except WJCT PBS 7.x) are UHF. There will be some major work happening on the tower carrying 12 and 25, as 4 and 17 are moving to a new antenna on that tower, and that requires adding a temporary antenna for 12 and 25 lower down on the tower so that crews can work up on top without getting cooked by 12 and 25. I'm not sure if that work has started yet though.

The issue is most likely to be with your antenna. What kind of antenna are you using? Is 7.x coming in OK?

ptaylor

Post by ptaylor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:35 pm

They both used to work fine. Channel 7 has not worked well for me well since I moved my antenna to the first floor.

I've been using a Mohu Releaf, which was getting a few more channels than my older antenna, but I recently switched back to the older unit, which I believe is the Antennas Direct Clearstream Eclipse. Both units don't get 12 or 25 at all anymore, but they both used to get them. I've also swapped coax cables and tuners..

So, I'm guessing they've started transmitting on the temporary antenna for 12 and 25 already and that's why I'm not seeing them anymore. My gear (antenna & tuner) is on the first floor. Probably a year or so ago, it was on the 2nd floor and channel 7 worked there. I might try relocating the antenna and tuner upstairs to see if that helps any.

What type of antenna do you have? (I'm assuming you are in Jacksonville and are getting both 12 and 25)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am

Couple UHF-only antennas, so no real surprise that they do a bad job on VHF. Simplest answer, if you don't mind a little creativity in finding a way to mount it, is to pick up Antennas Direct's VHF retrofit kit (https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct- ... 00LHFRCMG/). It's basically a set of rabbit ears attached to a UHF/VHF combiner. You connect your existing antenna to the UHF port on it, then run coax from it to the tuner, and the ears pick up your VHF channels while the existing antenna gets UHF. It's designed to clip onto the back screen of a bowtie or loop style antenna, but there's no reason you can't just tape it to the window or the top of a bookshelf or something.

ptaylor

Post by ptaylor » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm

I ended up taking the Mohu upstairs and temporarily setting up my quad tuner there so I could test. When I scanned, it saw 7, 12, and 25 just fine. The one downstairs still didn't see those channels though. So, it's probably at about 15-18 feet, vs about 9-10 feet downstairs (it's a split level home). I would rather stick with just a single antenna downstairs, as I probably need to set up a switch and maybe do something else for power where I have everything now...

Are there any decent indoor VHF capable antennas? I found this one that claims UHF/VHF, but it doesn't look much different than the Mohu:
http://www.winegard.com/flatwave/indoor-tv-antenna

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 pm

ptaylor wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm
I ended up taking the Mohu upstairs and temporarily setting up my quad tuner there so I could test. When I scanned, it saw 7, 12, and 25 just fine. The one downstairs still didn't see those channels though. So, it's probably at about 15-18 feet, vs about 9-10 feet downstairs (it's a split level home). I would rather stick with just a single antenna downstairs, as I probably need to set up a switch and maybe do something else for power where I have everything now...

Are there any decent indoor VHF capable antennas? I found this one that claims UHF/VHF, but it doesn't look much different than the Mohu:
http://www.winegard.com/flatwave/indoor-tv-antenna
Well if you are looking at them might as well use this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wideskall-Un ... lwQAvD_BwE

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 pm

The loop+rabbit ears ones are fine if you're close to the towers. That's about all I'd consider using at this point, as none of those panel antennas work worth anything on VHF. I liked the Antennas Direct ClearStream 1V and 1MAX models, but both are discontinued and I haven't found anything suitable to replace them except repurposing a smaller outdoor antenna. Examples of those would be the ClearStream 2V, one of the Chinese 4 bay bowties with similar ears on it (sold under a variety of marketing names including 1byone, CeKay, pingbingding, McDuory), or maybe the Channel Master CM3010HD, if you have a a big entertainment center type thing you can hide it on top of.