Playback/Recording issue on single channel

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
BLWedge09

Playback/Recording issue on single channel

Post by BLWedge09 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 am

This issue happens solely with my local NBC affiliate (WVTM 13 in Birmingham, AL). This station is broadcast in 1080i. For reference, my local CBS (WIAT 42 also out of Birmingham, AL) is also a 1080i broadcast channel and does not exhibit this issue…nor do my local ABC or fox that are broadcast in 720p. All 3 signal levels are generally at 100%.

The NBC channel, when played through Roku Media player directly or via Plex live (or recorded via DVR) and direct streamed in 1080i mpeg2, will sometimes play for only 10 seconds and sometimes a few minutes, but will ultimately start to stutter & pixelate. Plex also has the issue (though less frequently) when recording the stream from this channel (wired gig internal connection)

Here’s my issue though. My HDHomeRun reports the NBC signal topping out in the 15Mbps range. The Plex dashboard (only way I know to check this) reports spikes of 60-70Mbps being sent to it. Why the large disparity? Is the HDHomerun turning around and spitting out a signal that is many times larger than what it is receiving? And why is only this one channel an issue?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Playback/Recording issue on single channel

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Do you see issues when watching that channel on the Roku when not direct streaming (i.e. having the Plex server transcode it)?

BLWedge09

Post by BLWedge09 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm
Do you see issues when watching that channel on the Roku when not direct streaming (i.e. having the Plex server transcode it)?
I really haven’t watched the channel live enough to say for sure. I can say that Plex has some of the same issues when recording the channel(played back from any device), so it’s not completely on the Roku. And my server is definitely not underpowered. Dual e5-2650 v2s w/64 GB of ram and the OS(Ubuntu Server) and Plex is running from an SSD.

I should probably also mention that I briefly owned a Nvidia Shield (newest version) and had the same issue on it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then watch live TV on the problem channel until the issue starts and for at least 10 minutes after. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and the time the issue started and we will check the logs.

BLWedge09

Post by BLWedge09 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:27 pm
Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then watch live TV on the problem channel until the issue starts and for at least 10 minutes after. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and the time the issue started and we will check the logs.
Device ID: 107584D5
Lots of issues in the 10:55-11:05 P.M. Central time range on 4/24.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:47 am

Not seeing any issues in the logs. Reception was clean and there wasn't any packet loss apparent. If you start seeing issues in it again, you may want to check the HDHomeRun app to see if it is also having trouble, or if it's specifically a Plex or Roku problem.