DVR "Recorded" list is always empty

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dug

DVR "Recorded" list is always empty

Post by dug » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Background: I have activated DVR service, and I installed/setup the software on WD My Cloud. I am able to make recordings, and I see the .mpg files on the NAS disk. I can view the .mpg files with VLC and other utilities. The log files show the recordings have completed.

But, the HDHomeRun app does not show completed recordings. "Recordings" is empty. The items stay in the "Tasks" list forever. I have tried running the app two different clients and each have the same problem (NVIDIA Shield and Fire TV). I tried Force Stop on the app, but still no luck.

Why doesn't the HDHomeRun app show correct status for tasks?

Thanks,
Doug

dug

Re: DVR "Recorded" list is always empty

Post by dug » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Also, the following error is seen in the log during "hdhomerun_record start":
20190416-01:21:15 Recorded: failed to create dir_change_notification for '/shares/Public/HDHomeRun/DVR/' (28)
What is error 28? (apparently it is not a errno, since all of my partitions have free space)

Doug

dug

Post by dug » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm

I am thinking the issue was with the WD My Cloud (or something in WD's Linux). A reboot of WD seems to have cleared the issue, and "hdhomerun_record start" is no longer reporting an error. The apps are showing "Recordings" as expected.

Doug

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm

28 indicates that the system ran out of available resources to monitor the recording location for changes. You can increase the limit so that this is less likely to happen. You have to SSH in to the NAS and run this command, then reboot.

Code: Select all

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf

dug

Post by dug » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Thank you for the help! This change fixes the issue. FYI, on my WD My Cloud, I also had to make the change in /etc/sysctl.d/inotify.conf.

Thanks!
Doug