Tuner confusion

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nembarie

Tuner confusion

Post by nembarie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm

I have the Homerun Duo, if I record a program lets say for 3 mins (testing) and then stop/delete said recording it does not release the tuner back until the program stops airing, then if I want to change channel I get "Unable to play channel All tuners in Use" - I'm not sure if this by design but very silly if it is.
Can someone please help?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Tuner confusion

Post by signcarver » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:10 pm

That is the way the recording engine works as it basically tells the tuner to stream that channel to it for 1 hour (or whatever amount of time was scheduled).

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 pm

nembarie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm
I have the Homerun Duo, if I record a program lets say for 3 mins (testing) and then stop/delete said recording it does not release the tuner back until the program stops airing, then if I want to change channel I get "Unable to play channel All tuners in Use" - I'm not sure if this by design but very silly if it is.
Can someone please help?
It's not a bug - it's a feature.

There are currently two work-arounds:
1) reboot your HDHR device (yank the plug out of the wall) and restart/reboot the device the engine is running on to release the tuner.
2) Use Channels DVR.

PossumsDad

Post by PossumsDad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 am

or Emby.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 am

Or Tvheadend. Or WMC. Or ...

The point is, SD's software does not allow you to stop a recording in progress.

I suppose one workaround could be to use the hdhomerun_config command line program to set the lockkey to force, and then set the tuner to none:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerN/lockkey force
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerN/vchannel none
Where "FFFFFFFF" is the DeviceID of your tuner (if you use FFFFFFFF it will use the first device it finds; if you only have one, then this won't be a problem), and "tunerN" is the tuner you are trying to release (ie, tuner0 for the first tuner).

While this will release the tuner from the DVR, there is nothing stopping it from trying to start the recording again.

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am

So just to confirm, if I choose a 4-hour program to test with for 3 minutes, and then I stop recording (using the SD official Android app or the djp952 unofficial Kodi PVR add-on), while the front ends show no recordings, the .mpg files continue to be written to my NAS? I'm forced to lock up the tuner and disk space for the entire program length? Seems crazy, so I just wanted to be sure.

And, if this is the case, after the 4-hour program finishes airing, will the .mpg file be automatically deleted?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am

budmannxx wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am
So just to confirm, if I choose a 4-hour program to test with for 3 minutes, and then I stop recording (using the SD official Android app or the djp952 unofficial Kodi PVR add-on), while the front ends show no recordings, the .mpg files continue to be written to my NAS? I'm forced to lock up the tuner and disk space for the entire program length? Seems crazy, so I just wanted to be sure.

And, if this is the case, after the 4-hour program finishes airing, will the .mpg file be automatically deleted?
As to the first: I believe so, but as I don't use SD's software I cannot be certain.

As to the second: I've no clue.

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Fair enough--I guess I'll find out in 3.5 hours :roll:

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:10 pm

One of my test recordings ended. The tuner was released, and the .mpg file was deleted. The folder the video file was in, however, remained. Not the end of world, but I'm not sure if I should manually delete the empty folder or if I should just leave it there forever...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Rebooting the HDHomeRun or forcing the lockkey will not stop the recording - the record engine will detect the problem and continue to retry.

Restarting the record engine will stop the recording if it is no longer a task.

Nick

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 pm

nickk wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Restarting the record engine will stop the recording if it is no longer a task.

Nick
Restarting the service worked to stop the in-progress recording (where I had already deleted the task). Couple of points on this:
  1. This wouldn't be a great option if other recordings were in progress, of course.
  2. This did NOT result in the .mpg or folder being deleted; is it safe to manually delete the video file?
  3. For the other test recording which ended naturally, is it safe for me to delete the empty recording folder it was in?