Newer intel graphics - better playback?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
keplenk

Newer intel graphics - better playback?

Post by keplenk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello,

I use an hdhr prime with drm channels. So i have limited devices to use which are either certified androidtv boxes or a windows 10 pc using the hdhomerun app from the ms store.

I gave up on xiaomi mi box s and jetstream due to very poor playback issues. No matter what I did, it was really bad. So I returned those.

Now im considering htpc/spare laptop that I have and use it as a dedicated hdhomerun player but im also seeing huge differences in playback performance between intel cpu generations

I currently have multiple pcs that use an i5-4570 with intel hd 4600 graphics and the playback is great with non-drm but as soon as I play drm channels like hbo, it plays fine but you can notice micro stuttering.

I can get a lenovo t450s for like $50 and it uses a intel hd 5200u/5500u .. but i dont want to waste money if the playback would be the same as the desktop i5 4570

My last option is to just get a coffee/kaby lake celeron specifically celeron G4900 with intel uhd 610 and ill be spending a total for $104 (i have spare parts to use).

Does using the latest generation intel cpu/graphics improve playback in Windows 10 hdhomerun app? Does it take advantage of HW acceleration?

I also considered the nvidia shield but its $180 right now. My celeron route + my spare parts would be a cheaper option.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Newer intel graphics - better playback?

Post by signcarver » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Of all the options you mentioned, that isn't win 7 and wmc, the jetstream 4k works best in my house with drm protection on all cable channels. Only occasionally with interlaced hockey does it have any apparent problem (other than occasional black screen when starting on new ui) and is nearly on par with the same channel as the newer cable boxes from my provider (my older cable boxes seem to handle mpeg2 1080i better). Things that usually work better are xbox one, nvidia shield, desktop pc with 6th or later gen intel built in graphics or nvidia graphics (note there have been reported issues with some channels and nvidia graphics). I also have a variety of low end (recent pentium/celeron) nuc style pc's that do just about as well as the jetstream.

Edit: to be fair(or at least more complete), you must have jinxed me as 15 minutes after saying no issues on jetstream 4k, i had an issue between show and commercial that the video froze and made a repeating alarm like buzz when I walked away to prepare dinner that I fixed by switching channels. It then happened again the next commercial break but since I was watching a press of rewind and then fast forward took care of it as if no issue... the next few breaks no issues... I have even seen cable boxes have such issues from time to time so stand by my claim it seems nearly on par with the box (and the difference in price of $2.99/mo to support 3 tv's and $8.99/mo to support 1 tv is worth such slight difference).

keplenk

Post by keplenk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Unfortunately, my wife and I are crazy hockey fans and that's one exactly the reason why I returned both the Jetstream and the Xiaomi. All I heard was complains from her during the playoff game .. lol

I might have a dud Jetstream but for some reason it actually performs worse the the Xiaomi Mi Box S. Not only it was poor stutters with live Hockey, it was constantly buffering on both the Live Channels app and HD Homerun Android app. Both Xiaomi and Jetstream was connected via ethernet. I factory reset it multiple times with only having HDHomerun installed with no help.

Honestly, the only reason I returned the Xiaomi is because of the hockey situation. Aside from that, I could live with its other short comings. I played live TV using the HDHomerun app for about 3-4 hours straight and it never buffered. It buffered for 1-2 times (for maybe 3-4 seconds) when I used the Live Channel app though, but that's also a duration of 3-4 hours of playback as well .. so not that bad for the Xiaomi box.

I just tried playing hockey/live channels on my i7-8700k and it looks so much better -- smooth.

Since the T450s is 5th gen intel GPU, looks like my only option is to go with the Celeron path or the Nvidia Shield.

Thanks for you input!

EDIT: Ok I made a math mistake. Looks like microcenter will not honor the $30 combo bundle on the celeron and the motherboard I was about to buy. So now, I have to spend $140 for CPU and mobo.

I can probably get the Nvidia shield for the same price with google express code -- so my question is the Nvidia shield now a better option? Does the Nvidia Shield have a problem with stuttering with Hockey and DRM channels?

keplenk

Post by keplenk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Just an update -- so I just realized when I did the test for my 8700k, I used my GTX 1080 .. which is doh! It will play smoothly ofcourse.

I removed the Nvidia card and tested it with the Intel graphics and the performance was really bad.

Hockey is smooth without issues but when I play HBO channels (more noticeable in older moves), its like doing some micro stuttering.

I'm glad I didn't risk buying the Celeron CPU since I'm sure its going to be worse.

Is there a tweak I can do to improve performance with HTPC intel graphics CPU?