Specific Channel Breaks up Only When Internet Connected

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ChiefNoJustice

Specific Channel Breaks up Only When Internet Connected

Post by ChiefNoJustice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 pm

When I tune to ESPN HD, some video loss (pixelation/blocking) occurs. Sometimes worse than others. Seems like when there is heavy internet traffic going on in the house, the problem gets much worse and much more frequent. When I disconnect the internet to my router, the video problem immediately goes away.

Setup is HD HomeRun Prime on Frontier FIOS. HDHR is directly cabled to Nighthawk Router. Viewing devices include XBOX One HDHomeRun App wired directly to the nighthawk Router. I also have a Windows 7 PC running WMC connected directly to the nighthawk Router that has the same video drop-out issue. Same problem shows up on any Wi-Fi devices I try to use (including Android phone and Windows 10 PC).

History of what I tried:
Was using WMC on Win7 with same HDHR Prime for several years without issue. About 4-5 months ago started getting data loss on just NBCSNW HD. Called Frontier a couple times to troubleshoot, they eventually sent technician to house. Technician tried lo-pass filter, but did not help. Tech believes same problem would show up if was using one of their tuners. Tech then switched me over to a different neighborhood switch for faster speed and replaced my ONT. Problem went away on NBCSNW, so technician left. I noticed shortly afterward the exact problem moved to ESPN HD. Tried updating FW on both Nighthawk and HDHR, but no improvement. Tried running new Coax direct to ONT, but no improvement. Frontier sent me new CableCard, but no improvement.

I am still not sure if the problem is really on my side of the ONT. My next step was to have frontier send me a tuner box to see if the problem goes away. But does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to troubleshoot further?

markfromBrooklyn

Re: Specific Channel Breaks up Only When Internet Connected

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 am

If you have access to another router it might be worth trying one. Or a separate ethernet switch. This would just eliminate those as problems.

ChiefNoJustice

Post by ChiefNoJustice » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried an alternate router, but same problem. Next step, I will try calling Frontier back out.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 am

Could also be an interference issue. Perhaps physically moving the tuner away from other equipment may help.

ChiefNoJustice

Post by ChiefNoJustice » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 am

Problem Solved (it was on Frontier's end):

Frontier Tech came to home and believed problem being caused by interference at the ONT. They moved the ONT from outside of the house into the garage. They also added a powered device inside the ONT cabinet that isolates the video spectrum on the incoming fiber and passes it to the ONT separate from internet (I think this is the device that really solved the problem, but not sure what it is called). After swapping everything out, ESPN was running without issue.