Turn off auto discovery of new channels - rpcameron

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
rpcameron

Re: Turn off auto discovery of new channels - rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:58 pm

nickk wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 am
It will upgrade automatically from Windows or Mac when you install the software.

The manual download:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 9beta1.bin

Nick
Ah, the firmware is dated 9 April, but the software package is dated 10 April, hence the inability for my attempt to download.

As has often been requested, is it possible to a listing for firmware files for direct downloading? Many HDHR users run neither Windows nor macOS. Having to jump through hoops just to update firmware shouldn't be this hard. (Also, it is a bit annoying that if you happen to run the Windows or macOS installers, then it will automatically update all discovered devices without any prompting or confirmation from the user.)

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 am

nickk wrote:
It will upgrade automatically from Windows or Mac when you install the software.

The manual download:

Nick
Is this specific for cable card or does this firmware also apply to OTA auto channel scanning? See my thread about my woes with fringe channels showing up in my list on a weekly basis.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:49 am

dinki wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 am
nickk wrote:

The manual download:

Nick
Is this specific for cable card or does this firmware also apply to OTA auto channel scanning? See my thread about my woes with fringe channels showing up in my list on a weekly basis.
That firmware linked was just for the Prime. I don't believe they've fixed/released one addressing OTA background scans.

Whether the beta firmware works for maintaining favorite/disabled channels and really does stop background scans, the jury is still out. I only was able to get it installed yesterday morning on my tuners to see if it makes a difference.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 am

It has nothing to do with stopping background scans, just that disabled remains disabled as it "currently does" for ota (used quotes as many apparently have problems with such... my theory is it has to be disabled when picked up on manual scan and if manual scan doesn't pick if up, it drops such information so whether or not such code works better with prime remains to be seen)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am

The OTA behavior remains as it has been. Channels will only be dropped by a manual channel scan. Any channels that are dropped will lose their status of favorite/blocked because that information is stored along with the channel itself, so no channel entry = no status. The OTA auto scan will not drop channels and thus the status will never be lost automatically.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
The OTA behavior remains as it has been. Channels will only be dropped by a manual channel scan. Any channels that are dropped will lose their status of favorite/blocked because that information is stored along with the channel itself, so no channel entry = no status. The OTA auto scan will not drop channels and thus the status will never be lost automatically.
What about the background scans on the Prime dropping channels? Has that been removed from this beta, or will I still need to manually reset the TA and manually rescan channels to get those that simply timed out tuning during a background scan to come back?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 pm

There was a change in the PRIME firmware to improve the handling of disabled channels that disappear and reappear.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 pm
There was a change in the PRIME firmware to improve the handling of disabled channels that disappear and reappear.
Is that the only modification, to fix that bug?

What about any way to disable background scans, or at least increase timeouts when scanning (especially with TAs). It's incredibly frustrating for the tuner to remove channels from its lineup when there is no issue manually tuning them.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Running the latest stable firmware (which superseded the beta), and am still having problems. Channels previously marked disabled are showing up as enabled after a background scan.

This is becoming a weekly hassle to have to fix the tuner settings, when the problem would not exist if background scans were either not present or able to be disabled.

Please make this a user-configurable option.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

While running the lastest stable firmware, I've had about a dozen channels reappear enabled when they had previously been disabled.

After seeing the posts about OTA tuners having the same problem, this seems to be something indicative with your background scanning process.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu May 09, 2019 4:17 pm

jasonl wrote: I will raise a feature request internally to add an option to manually run the same scan as the background scan, where it will add new channels and update the information for existing ones where needed, but not remove any channels that are not found. This would preserve any disabled channels.
Can this also include something such as presenting the channel mapping as read from the CableCARD, or does the Prime only know whether something is subscribed whether a scan can tune it?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 09, 2019 4:35 pm

HDHomeRun PRIME has to actually tune the channel to learn if it is subscribed and/or DRM. The CableCARD does not transmit a list of what channels are subscribed or anything like that.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Unfortunately that "subscribed" list is missing 120+ channels for me... all of them work in wmc. I'd like a way to use those "unsubscribed" channels
such as an enable if one asks to "show all". What often happens in wmc for those channels is the first request fails... then for a recording the second request pulls it in... for live often a channel up/down pulls it in if there is trouble.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri May 10, 2019 7:29 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:35 pm
HDHomeRun PRIME has to actually tune the channel to learn if it is subscribed and/or DRM. The CableCARD does not transmit a list of what channels are subscribed or anything like that.
Then this definitely seems like timeouts when tuning/scanning ought to adjustable to allow for longer times. This is especially true because this is a point of pain for MANY Prime users, and SD's method has been causing problems for years.

If that can't be done, then allow us to modify the device's channel lineup to manually enable the subscription status and HD flags for channels that your brief scan fails to fully pick up.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:14 am

Mirroring the comments from Billi23, the latest stable firmware is not preserving disabled channels if they are "re-discovered" after being removed because of a timeout when trying to tune them during a background scan.

I just checked some of my "newly added" channels on one of my tuners, and they appeared as enabled when they were disabled before a background scan removed them.