MAC OSX Mojave HDHomerun Software not working - user974

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
user974

MAC OSX Mojave HDHomerun Software not working - user974

Post by user974 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 pm

I am also having this problem. macOS Mojave 10.14.4. When I start HDHomeRun, it says "Retry or exit - No devices detected." Clicking retry simply repeats the error. The only option is to exit. I have tried watching for the HDHomeRun process using Console and doing a packet capture using Little Snitch. It seems as though it is talking to the correct box and requesting the right file but I'm not sure why it can't connect. In the payload of the pcap file, I can see the URL and file which are correct as far as I can tell (i.e. if I put the URL verbatim into the browser I get a file showing the channel lineup), so it knows what box to talk to and how to talk to it but for some reason it is not working.

URL: http://192.168.2.134:80/lineup.json

Any ideas?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: MAC OSX Mojave HDHomerun Software not working - user974

Post by jasonl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:16 am

Firewall blocking the response from reaching the app?

user974

Post by user974 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes, ordinarily I would think so but the strange thing is I can take a URL like [url]http://<local IP of HDHR>:5004/auto/v11.1?transcode=none[/url] and paste it into the "Open Network Source" box of VLC player and the stream will play just fine.
So I can verify that the machine has 2-way communication with the HDHR box even through the firewall.
But for some reason, the discovery mechanism of HDHR's Mac app is not working.

Would you happen to know what are the steps that the HDHR application takes when it first starts up (in a nutshell)? Whatever is holding up the app, happens right at the beginning and then it can proceed no further.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm

HTTP isn't going to be blocked by a firewall. Stateful firewalls will recognize that the incoming packets are in response to an outbound connection and will automatically allow them through. The discovery request goes out via broadcast, and not all stateful firewalls will consider a unicast response to a an outbound broadcast to be part of the same connection and allow them through. Depending on the firewall, this is sometimes configurable in the settings (the Windows firewall and Norton both have it on Windows PCs, for example), but some firewalls don't have it as an option, and the only way for things to work is by allowing all incoming traffic to the specific application (Mac firewall) or allowing all incoming traffic from the IP or MAC of the HDHomeRun (iptables on Linux). The HDHomeRun app should already be allowed through the Mac firewall, but double check that, and check anything else you might have installed that has firewall capabilities.

user974

Post by user974 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:50 pm

After some experimentation I found out the problem and now it works fine.

Turns out when I re/installed HDHR on my Mac, it prompted me to "Allow Incoming Connections".
Considering the principle of least privilege, I thought to myself "No!? why would HDHR ever need to accept unsolicited incoming connections like a server would?"
There's only a select few applications on my machine that have the "Incoming connection" privilege and 95% of them are first-party Apple created daemons/programs that ship with the OS.

However, as it turns out, HDHR does need to accept unsolicited incoming connections to function properly.
I'm not sure why but that's how it currently works.
Once I switched it from Denied to Allowed, everything was OK.

Jason, do you have some insight on why it needs to accept incoming connections?
If it is for discovery purposes, could it not fall back to prompting me for the IP address (and subsequently saving it) instead of failing?
Or is it for some other purpose? DVR recording?
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the messages I am receiving?
Thanks for the help so far.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm

My last post explains why. The Mac firewall isn't smart enough to recognize that the discovery response from the HDHomeRun is in direct response to the discovery request and should be allowed through automatically.

azrichg

Post by azrichg » Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 pm

I had a similar issue, tried allowing connections via the firewall and no luck.

What DID work is un-checking 'Early access to features' as a preference in HDHomeRun app. This is with version 20190417 (1).

In case that helps. That was weird!

CNLJJM

Post by CNLJJM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm

'Turn off early access to features' worked for me too. go figure.