HDHR Prime wasting electricity

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Prime

HDHR Prime wasting electricity

Post by Prime » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

I know the HDHomeRun Prime needs to stay on for the cable card to remain in touch with the cable company (well, I am assuming that is still the case).
Recently I started using a Fire TV Cube and the HDHomeRun app. For years I used a third party app on Apple TV 4 and 4K to access the card. But, while the screen UI on Apple TV is way better than Amazon, the badly designed Apple remote drove me bonkers. The Amazon remote is just easier to use.
Anyhow, the Apple TV, no matter what app you were in, if you put it to sleep, the whole thing went to sleep. Including the tuner that was in use on the HDHomeRun Prime, shut off.
But with Fire TV, if you power off, the tuner keeps running on the Prime.
Why does SiliconeDust let this happen with their app? It is their device so, why leave it running if the Fire TV is powered off?
If they also turn off the tuner, that is a power to a few thousand homes saved right there. If they can sleep the entire device, that is a power plant saved.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR Prime wasting electricity

Post by NedS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 am

The Fire TV Cube isn't actually turning off or going to sleep. It's pretending to, but it's not. Unless there is an active connection, the Prime will release the tuner.

I don't know how you are figuring your math there on electrical savings. The power usage of a Prime actively tuning or not would take decades to show any kind of significant savings, as the device barely consumes power even on "full load". Even if every single Prime ever made was magically updated to consume no power at all, you wouldn't be saving a "power plant" worth of power. Unless maybe that power plant is powered by hamsters running in wheels. Silicon Dust will always strive to decrease our carbon footprint and produce equipment that is energy efficient, but let's not misrepresent real world statistics :)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 am

Hi,

How are you powering off the Fire TV Cube? (ie what steps / button presses so we can test the same way here).

CableCARD devices are required to keep the OOB tuner, video+control buses, and the CableCARD operating at all times. Likewise the main CPU is required to listen for and process data from the CableCARD at all times. (The cable industry defines standby as turning off the video output ports).

Under full load with a CableCARD installed and all tuners streaming the PRIME draws ~6W.

The HDHR3-CC has a power save feature where it will power down any tuner that isn't streaming data.

Nick

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am

Prime wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am
If they also turn off the tuner, that is a power to a few thousand homes saved right there. If they can sleep the entire device, that is a power plant saved.
Exaggerate much? Image

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun May 12, 2019 8:16 am

NedS wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 am
I don't know how you are figuring your math there on electrical savings. The power usage of a Prime actively tuning or not would take decades to show any kind of significant savings, as the device barely consumes power even on "full load". Even if every single Prime ever made was magically updated to consume no power at all, you wouldn't be saving a "power plant" worth of power. Unless maybe that power plant is powered by hamsters running in wheels. Silicon Dust will always strive to decrease our carbon footprint and produce equipment that is energy efficient, but let's not misrepresent real world statistics :)
Apparently the use of hyperbole in rhetoric is not taught in engineering school.

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 am

jseymour wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am
Prime wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am
Exaggerate much? Image
OK, so a small power plant, which most are or increasingly so. Also, as energy efficiency becomes the norm, low power use will be and is, preferable. Hence all those smart thermostats sold nowadays.

sspell

Post by sspell » Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 am

Most power plants produce 300 to 500 megawatts power 1 megawatt will power more than 150000 primes at full power draw so no it would not even take a small power plant to power them unless you talking about an average wind mill power plant that would probably power most in the country at 1.5 megawatt.
Edit: some coal plants produce more than 2000 megawatts