Studdering on Nvidia Shiled with Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
pmarsh

Studdering on Nvidia Shiled with Prime

Post by pmarsh » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Recorded diagnostic info around 7:00pm EDT.

Haven't had the setup for very long, but this microstuddering as some have called it, is always evident. Especially on commercials oddly enough. It seems like one frame gets dropped every few seconds.

The Shield is up-to-date with 7.3.3 software hard wired to the Verizon FiOS router. IPv6 is turned off.
The hdhomerrun app : 0305 version
The Prime : 20180817
Device ID: 1314D2E8

keplenk

Re: Studdering on Nvidia Shiled with Prime

Post by keplenk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:17 am

I'm in the same boat and I'm really really frustrated with now seems to be HDHomerun. I initially though it was the hardware decoders but now it looks like its the app or the HDHomerun Prime hardware itself.

I have tried almost everything and its almost always the same for all of them (I also have Verizon FIOS)--
  • Xiaomi Mi Box S and Jetstream Android Tvs = Bad image quality -- stuttering in fast paced games (like hockey) but good playback with DRM channels (HBO, etc)
  • HTPC with Intel Core i5 4570 and built-in HD4000 graphics - Stuttering with DRM channels like HBO but fine with fast paced games
  • Gaming PC with i7-8700k with it's built in Intel Graphics -- same thing -- stuttering with DRM channels but ok with fast paced games
  • Then everyone kept on suggesting and praising the Nvidia shield TV so I bought one -- its actually the best in color/image quality but the stuttering is unbreable -- all channels! including DRM and Fast paced games -- the probably the worst of them all in terms of stuttering (yes, the Xiaomi and Jetstream performed better in terms of stuttering).
The Nvidia Shield really caught me off guard as I had high expectations on this device. I mean, it played KODI, Netflix, Youtube like a champ on my TV. But using the HDHomerun App and the default Live channels TV app is sooooo bad. I honestly thought that all the while, the issue are the decoders that I use or buy but after buying the Nvidia Shield, that tells me is the HDHomerun Prime tuner is at fault now.

The only things that worked are with no stuttering
  • i7-8700k with my GTX 1080
  • Core i5 4570 with Quadro K4000 or NVS 510 (but they can't take 4k resolution and some pixelation)
Thank goodness in the US they have return window policies

So to summarize my experience, it looks like i need to have a gaming PC to have a good experience with HDHomerun Prime.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my Android Phone (Pixel XL) and Galaxy Tab S2 played awesome.

Support was no help.

BadBrent

Post by BadBrent » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:35 am

To me this sounds like more of a WiFi issue than anything else because of dropped frames coming from all sort of boxes that either have ethernet ports built-in and were never used or just hopeful thinking on the part of 802.11n WiFi for your incoming TV signal. 802.11n WiFi generally should give you enough bandwidth to watch TV but this frequency can become so oversaturated that it starts to drop frames from your normal TV watching. I would strongly suggest trying to find a way to get a wired ethernet signal directly to your nVidia Shield and I'm betting your stuttering issues will become a thing of the past. Even my own two Shields have had occasional stuttering issues but once hardwired into my network all TV channels came in strong with no stutters of any kind and the picture is breathless. To get a the perfect HDHomeRun signal over WiFI you would need to have only one nVidial Shield on that WiFi radio in your router with nothing else connected to it in order to get the most bandwidth and the least amount of dropped frames from your normal TV watching habits. Just just 2 cents though.

keplenk

Post by keplenk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:23 pm

BadBrent wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:35 am
To me this sounds like more of a WiFi issue than anything else because of dropped frames coming from all sort of boxes that either have ethernet ports built-in and were never used or just hopeful thinking on the part of 802.11n WiFi for your incoming TV signal. 802.11n WiFi generally should give you enough bandwidth to watch TV but this frequency can become so oversaturated that it starts to drop frames from your normal TV watching. I would strongly suggest trying to find a way to get a wired ethernet signal directly to your nVidia Shield and I'm betting your stuttering issues will become a thing of the past. Even my own two Shields have had occasional stuttering issues but once hardwired into my network all TV channels came in strong with no stutters of any kind and the picture is breathless. To get a the perfect HDHomeRun signal over WiFI you would need to have only one nVidial Shield on that WiFi radio in your router with nothing else connected to it in order to get the most bandwidth and the least amount of dropped frames from your normal TV watching habits. Just just 2 cents though.
Im using ethernet on all my setup. Even the Xiaomi mi box s .. i used a usb to ethernet adapter.

I actually doubt its the internet because as mentioned that using a higher spec machine eliminated the stuttering