Problem with Univision (KBNT) in San Diego after channel remapping

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
trossoma

Problem with Univision (KBNT) in San Diego after channel remapping

Post by trossoma » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello,

I am using an HDHomerun HDHR5-4US connected to a ChannelMaster Extremetenna 80 via ChannelMaster Amplify+ preamp set to LOW. Before the channel remap occurred last Thursday, I was able to reliably pickup Univision (KBNT) 17.1. The real channel used to be 25 and they have switched to 24. I have been using the Signal GH app on my iphone to monitor channel statistics from the HDHomerun. When performing a rescan after the channel remap, I can no longer receive Univision. I have manually selected channel 24 on the Signal GH to monitor the statistics, and the signal strength reports 70-80% but signal quality is consistently 0%. I spoke with an engineer at the station and he is not aware of any issues on their side.

I read another post that mentioned that I could send in diagnostic information and you guys could maybe give some more insight into what is going on on the tuner side. Is this correct?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Problem with Univision (KBNT) in San Diego after channel remapping

Post by jasonl » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Sure, we can take a look at the diagnostic data, just enable the sending and run a channel scan, then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun. Also, what zip code are you in and what direction is the antenna pointing? San Diego can be a problematic market for OTA when using a directional antenna, because the broadcasts are split between Soledad Mountain near La Jolla, San Miguel Mountain near La Presa, and then you've also got the Mexican stations on Monte San Antonio in Tijuana.

trossoma

Post by trossoma » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Ok. I enabled diagnostic data and rescanned. My Device ID is 1076550B. My zip code is 92009. My antenna is pointing at approximatelyt 165-170 degrees. I am trying to balance the pointing of the antenna in order to pickup one UHF channel (KBNT) at Mt Soledad and then the other UHF channels in east county san diego. I have done lots of experimentation, and have also tried two antennas and have two separate lines running out from two HDHomerun units. I don't have much trouble with the VHF channels that broadcast from Mt Soledad. It's pretty frustrating what happened with KBNT, because it was working reliably before the remapping occurred. I also found out that they changed the transmitter and antenna array as part of the remapping process. So there is something about the new equipment that is causing very poor coverage in my area now. Do you have any recommendations for antennas that I could use to pickup the one UHF channel at Mt Soledad and the others in east san diego? Also, it would be preferable to have an antenna no larger than 5-6ft long or wide. I can use two antennas, as long as they can be co-located on the same mast.

Thanks again for your help.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:34 pm

A narrower antenna like an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V might help by giving a wider beam, but I'm not sure how the the lower gain would impact reception. You may want to first try adjusting the existing antenna to see if you can restore reception. One issue is that the 4228HD has a reception hole right at channel 24, so that's not helping things. CM did a...less than optimal...job in designing the 4228HD, to the point that people on the internet have taken the basic design and made some adjustments and ended up with something that performs significantly better. One simple thing you can do to help is to pull the balun box back so it is about 2" behind the bowties. You'll probably need to zip tie it to the mast to hold it there, but that alone is about a 2% difference in signal strength. That combined with adjusting it a shade closer to Mt. Soledad might be enough to get KBNT back working.

voicegy

Post by voicegy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm

trossoma wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 pm
Ok. I enabled diagnostic data and rescanned. My Device ID is 1076550B. My zip code is 92009. My antenna is pointing at approximatelyt 165-170 degrees. I am trying to balance the pointing of the antenna in order to pickup one UHF channel (KBNT) at Mt Soledad and then the other UHF channels in east county san diego. I have done lots of experimentation, and have also tried two antennas and have two separate lines running out from two HDHomerun units. I don't have much trouble with the VHF channels that broadcast from Mt Soledad. It's pretty frustrating what happened with KBNT, because it was working reliably before the remapping occurred. I also found out that they changed the transmitter and antenna array as part of the remapping process. So there is something about the new equipment that is causing very poor coverage in my area now. Do you have any recommendations for antennas that I could use to pickup the one UHF channel at Mt Soledad and the others in east san diego? Also, it would be preferable to have an antenna no larger than 5-6ft long or wide. I can use two antennas, as long as they can be co-located on the same mast.

Thanks again for your help.
trossoma, how have things worked out for you since your last post? I, too, am in the San Diego area (92103) and have the exact same issue with KBNT - everything was great here until they remapped it, very frustrating. All my other channels come in beautifully with great signal. Anxious to hear if you overcame it.

gabrielcastro23

Post by gabrielcastro23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:08 pm

I have the same problem. KBNT Ch 17.1 is now gone after the channel relocation. Reception was great before the move and now it disappear. Very frustrating. Any ideas on how to tune it again will be greatly appreciated.

pirateradio

Post by pirateradio » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:14 pm

I could receive KBNT (Univision) just fine before the remapping, now I don't receive it after re-scanning. I have multiple antennaes on my roof. This is really frustrating because I do receive the other stations that broadcast on Soledad.
Does anybody have an update or know what's going on??

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 am

KBNT is very low power station. It completely changed it's broadcast pattern when it repacked. It's signal is now more focused south by southeast. A lot of people have complained about losing ir on multiple cord cutting and OTA forums. It's not the hardware.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

It's the exact same pattern, elevation, and power output that it was before, just on channel 24 instead of 25 and with a new transmitter and antenna. I can't really find a good explanation for why the coverage is so much worse.

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm
It's the exact same pattern, elevation, and power output that it was before, just on channel 24 instead of 25 and with a new transmitter and antenna. I can't really find a good explanation for why the coverage is so much worse.
The pattern changed a lot. I reviewed the pattern before the repack and noticed that it had more of power directed to the southeast.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Are you sure you were incorporating the rotation into the original pattern? The original pattern had peak power nominally at 0° but with 140° rotation, while the new pattern has peak power at 140° with no rotation. The net result is they're exactly the same and the power has always been directed southeast. They can't direct more power elsewhere because the antenna is side-mounted on KGTV's tower and the tower itself will interfere with anything sent in the opposite direction, and the hills to the north combined with the low elevation of the antenna means that more power wouldn't really improve coverage to many people anyway. Plus, there's no point in wasting power broadcasting to the ocean. They do have a permit to convert their old low-power analog station near Vista to digital, and that will provide better coverage to the North County area whenever it goes on-air.