Turn off auto discovery of new channels - dinki

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dinki

Turn off auto discovery of new channels - dinki

Post by dinki » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:56 am

I'm using OTA and occasionally I see new channels show up as if a scan was initiated. This is far from ideal as atmospheric conditions sometimes allow for discovering channels that normally can't be received. How can I turn off this auto discovery of channels so I don't have to disable them manually?

historyvids
Device ID: 107407BA (Quatro) 132812AE (Prime)

Re: Turn off auto discovery of new channels

Post by historyvids » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:07 am

I have this happen frequently as well due to atmospheric conditions bringing in traces of signals from hundreds of miles away. It would will be nice to be able to restrict this to manual scans only.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am

HDHomeRun tuners automatically scan for channels every 3 days or so. This feature presently cannot be disabled. As far as comments from SD on the forum, it appears they have no interest in changing the manner that this operates.

dinki

Post by dinki » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:57 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am
HDHomeRun tuners automatically scan for channels every 3 days or so. This feature presently cannot be disabled. As far as comments from SD on the forum, it appears they have no interest in changing the manner that this operates.
Oh great. Perfect.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi,

The trick is to disable any weak channels that are detected. Once disabled they won't come back due to the background detection.

Nick

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 am

nickk wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi,

The trick is to disable any weak channels that are detected. Once disabled they won't come back due to the background detection.

Nick
I'm already doing this. Excuse my bluntness, but this is more of a hack than a trick. It wouldn't take much effort to add this as a software option. It's not uncommon for new channels to show up that have never had the 'trick' applied to them thus showing up in the guide.

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:27 am

nickk wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi,

Nick
Here I am again. It's been about three weeks and I've had to use your TRICK a few weeks ago and again today to get rid of these weak channels. Why can't you guys just add the capabilities to disable scanning to the software?

dinki

Re: Turn off auto discovery of new channels - dinki

Post by dinki » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Back again to report I have to remove these channels again. I'll keep posting to let you see how often this happens.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:41 am

dinki wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm
Back again to report I have to remove these channels again. I'll keep posting to let you see how often this happens.
Based on my experience, probably once a month or so.

But don't worry, because anything you've previously marked to disable will never show again. (Except for next month when you have yo do it again because SD refuses to acknowledge this is a bug. And because this is a "feature". So everything is working exactly as it should.)

/s

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 am

Can you tell me your Device ID and turn on sending log files?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066 (just "Device" debugging for this case)

dinki

Post by dinki » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:56 am

Device IDs:

1043C20D
1072D5CE

Followed all steps on the linked page. Noticed that I had three additional scanned channels on one of the tuners from last night or yesterday. I'm not enjoying have to disable these. Also when I did a rescan I noticed that the weak channels disappeared. Will I have to disable them again if they show up or does the HDHR remember that frequency was disabled earlier?

Additionally, I think I'm having to disable the same channels on both devices.. Sometimes at separate times as the two tuners don't detect them (perhaps they scan at different intervals) at the same time.

It would really be nice to turn off auto discovery.

Please let me know what you find and if you have a remedy for this. Thanks.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Without taking any "side" on how better to handle auto-discovery, there seems to be something buggy going on from what you guys are describing. We'll see what we can find out.

dinki

Post by dinki » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:14 pm

@neds Please do hurry. I just had more channels found. One tuner detected three new channels and the other tuner found three different new channels than the first. Annoying to say the least.

I'll continue to post when this happens to illustrate how the ability to turn off auto discovery really is necessary and not just a petty request.

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 pm

dinki wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:14 pm
@neds Please do hurry. I just had more channels found. One tuner detected three new channels and the other tuner found three different new channels than the first. Annoying to say the least.

I'll continue to post when this happens to illustrate how the ability to turn off auto discovery really is necessary and not just a petty request.

Thanks
And these are channels that were previously discovered and hidden, but became unhidden?

dinki

Post by dinki » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 am

NedS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 pm
And these are channels that were previously discovered and hidden, but became unhidden?
To the best of my knowledge, yes. I did purchase an additional tuner (quatro) for use with PTV so it becomes unclear as to which stations were marked previously but I can say with certainty that I am having to hide stations I've marked previously marked on the duo. Further, it would be great if multiple tuners would have the option to use the same exclude list. I do understand that some folks may have multiple antenna inputs so that might not be ideal for all, but the option would help. Really what needs to be done goes back to my original post: allow the user to turn off auto discovery.