Basic setup scenario and questions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ForumUser

Basic setup scenario and questions

Postby ForumUser » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 am

Hi All,

Have iPad with HD app, Connect HDHR4, short coax to GE 29884 antenna stitching in middle of room to test, Ethernet cable to WiFi router, Apple TV Gen 3 ( I know it won’t work by itself), Screen Mirroring from the iPad.

Left power/network LED is lit, neither of the tuner LEDs is lit ...

Open the HD app and get a screen with right side channels showing (I’m assuming the Connector box grabs these via the internet connection), 90% of the screen. Black with the words “Unable to Play Channel Protocol Error.”

I can’t find a startup or preferences selection tab anywhere ... I can’t seach for channels, etc ...

I should be able to do this with the iPad and ScreenMirror, right?

Thanks1

ForumUser

Re: Basic setup scenario and questions

Postby ForumUser » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:38 pm

OK - found my error ... I was looking for a button or tab that was CLEAR ... my.homerun.com ... comes up and the ability to scan is hidden under the XX channels in the white box I upper left, just below the Version number.

My Version had a red and white x box, so updated it ... easy. Then kept looking for something simple - like a "Set Up" button or tab ... nope, gotta select the tiny green XX Channels in the white box to get to the ability to scan.

Sheesh ... weird way to present.

Working fine now - using iPad to Screen Mirror until I can get the newer gen Apple TV box to allow apps to run.

Nice that Channels dropped their charge for their app on iPad - helps to sell it for AppleTV as you can see how much better it is than the Homerun app.

rpcameron

Re: Basic setup scenario and questions

Postby rpcameron » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Working fine now - using iPad to Screen Mirror until I can get the newer gen Apple TV box to allow apps to run.
You are aware that Silicon Dust does not have a HDHomeRun app for AppleTV/tvOS, right? Your only options are:
  • AirPlay screen mirroring/casting
  • Using a different app (such as Channels)

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”