Trying to determine what my bottleneck is

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Misfit410

Trying to determine what my bottleneck is

Postby Misfit410 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am

Firstly my channel selection
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 0f69bb4731

So I'm running an HDHomeRun Connect Duo HDHR5-2US
Antenna is a Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna with 60 mile range

So I get a lot of channels and it's been awesome but what I find odd is I'm not picking up the strongest channels (Mainly PBS) at all and I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue (I know our PBS station uses Hi-V while the ones I pick up do not)

What I'm wondering is if this is a potential compatibility issue with the antennae itself or with the HD Homerun box? I intend to upgrade whichever one is deemed to be the issue.

rpcameron

Re: Trying to determine what my bottleneck is

Postby rpcameron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:40 am

So I get a lot of channels and it's been awesome but what I find odd is I'm not picking up the strongest channels (Mainly PBS) at all and I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue (I know our PBS station uses Hi-V while the ones I pick up do not)

What I'm wondering is if this is a potential compatibility issue with the antennae itself or with the HD Homerun box? I intend to upgrade whichever one is deemed to be the issue.
If you can't tune your strongest channels, chances are they are too strong. SD's tuners are very sensitive to overloading (much moreso than other tuners, especially the tuner in your TV). If your antenna is powered or has a preamp, try scanning without it. If there is nothing boosting your signal, then you may need to add a splitter or attenuator to reduce your signal.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 am

Antenna is a $100 Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV UHF [removed by moderator]
You answered your own question
Buy a real antenna cut for the band(s) you're working in.
Install it outdoors, or in an attic (no metal roofing).
Aim it at the stations you want and if what you want are at two compass points - buy more antennae, aim accordingly.
Disable/unfavorite channels/stations you'd like to avoid in the HDHR Software - and hope for the best.

Misfit410

Postby Misfit410 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Antenna is a $100 Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV UHF [removed by moderator]
You answered your own question
Buy a real antenna cut for the band(s) you're working in.
Install it outdoors, or in an attic (no metal roofing).
Aim it at the stations you want and if what you want are at two compass points - buy more antennae, aim accordingly.
Disable/unfavorite channels/stations you'd like to avoid in the HDHR Software - and hope for the best.
I wasn't able to find the specs on the leaf, I was suspecting the Antennae but I wanted to be certain before moving forward, have been considering an outdoor antennae so I'll go ahead and do it) (for a coat hanger, the Leaf has been solid for a few years)

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”