HD Homerun and Antenna

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Winterlight

HD Homerun and Antenna

Postby Winterlight » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a HDHomeRun DRI Tuner with a cable card. I have been using it since 2012 and I do have subscription.

Now I want to add an antenna setup.. not to replace my existing HDhomerun tuner but to a new additional setup. I have a quality antenna capable of 4K broadcasts so what would I use for recording from the antenna... a separate HDhomerun tuner?.... which one and how would this work? Thanks.

As a separate issue; I have discovered if my VPN is engaged my HDhomerun app can not find the turner.

NoReDist
Device ID: FFFFFFFF

Re: HD Homerun and Antenna

Postby NoReDist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Yes, you would need an another HDHomerun; one of the US Antenna models (HDHR4-2us, HDHR5-2us or 4-us) that has no CableCARD slot.

If you have the subscription (for DVR) already, you can use that to record from either HDHomerun.
If you just meant that you have a cable-provider subscription, you could subscribe to SiliconDust's DVR (for guide-data mainly; to schedule recordings) or use other 3rd-party recording software (i.e. Plex, emby, Channels, etc... see the 3rd-party forum)

If you used SD's pvr software, you would have one interface to perform scheduling of either cable or antenna HDHR. It would record across the network onto whatever you configured as your storage. The other 3rd-p apps would schedule and utilize slightly differently.
Obviously there won't be any 4k broadcasts for awhile, so you won't see any of those.

Winterlight

Postby Winterlight » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm

<<If you have the subscription (for DVR) already, you can use that to record from either HDHomerun.

I do ... so the DVR app would see the antenna automatically? I is there a way in the interface to switch between TV or Cable or does it show all on one interface? So if I have two HDHomerun do I have extra turners for the antenna? Thanks for the help.

NoReDist
Device ID: FFFFFFFF

Postby NoReDist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:23 pm

You will have to click the link provided in your original DVR-subscription email to find the new HDHR and include it for use with your subscription.

Your CableCARD HDHR will only tune channels from your Cable Co. (usually with your cable co's lineup #s)(so you won't get an extra two tuners from this to use to tune antenna, if that is what you meant; this device will only tune Cable-channels)
The Antenna HDHR will only (find &) tune channels from your antenna. (usually displayed with major-minor, ala 43.1, 6-2, etc)

It is only in this way that you will be able to determine/select the cable tuner over the antenna tuner; the channels will all be in one big listing, however the antenna channels will have Major-minor and the cable-provider's will be displayed as your ole familiar cable #-ing.

Winterlight

Postby Winterlight » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:33 pm

>>The Antenna HDHR will only (find &) tune channels from your antenna. (usually displayed with major-minor, ala 43.1, 6-2, etc)

But the Antenna HDHR will have its' own tuners but you are saying that I will not be able to record independently with those tuners. So a setup with my HDHomeRun DRI Tuner with 3 tuners and a cable card PLUS a new SiliconDust HDHR4-2US plugged into Antenna with two tuners can record 3 cable plus 2 antenna OR is it 3 cable or a 3 cable | antenna mix?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:54 pm

What are you using to record with, how are you setting up your network... SD's official apps and dvr detect any HDHomeRun on your network (subnet) if you wish to segregate, you segregate your network into different subnets.

OTA channels would be "dotted" i.e 5.1 while cablecard channels would be whole number like 5 or 1005. SD's software then tunes from whatever tuner that is available and has the same virtual channel number (the official apps don't let one select by channel for the DVR... so if something is on 5.1 and 5 and 1005 at the same time, it would prefer any channel that is marked as a favorite (any device with that channel number is fair game even if not a favorite), HD over SD, and typically OTA over cable. When viewing live, you specify which channel number, it may use any device it finds with that channel number.

Other apps/DVRs behave differently, including you telling what devices it should use.

You would have a total of 3 cable and 2 OTA (or 4 with quatro... they don't make a 3 tuner OTA model).

Winterlight

Postby Winterlight » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:05 pm

I am using a NUC with quadcore CPU + 8GB RAM and 1TB SSD as my TVs media box and my HD Home run recording. So blending the two homerun devices I could be recording 3 cable channels plus two OTA channels simultaneous .... correct.

Alternatively I could use the OTA HDHR4-2US on a separate PC and have two OTA tuners to record.. I have another mini computer = LIVA and be independent of the HD Homerun network.

Do I have it right?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:32 pm

By "what" I was referring to software not hardware... we are assuming SD's DVR (subscription) service but others work differently.

Again with SD's DVR, If you wish to set up another system to only do only the OTA, you would first need to attach the tuner to your main network and associate all the tuners as they all must be detected... One you do that, you can attach the tuner to another network (subnet), it will have to have internet access) then your second tuner would need to be seen only by that device since SD's software detects all tuners on the same subnet the client (or DVR engine) is connected to and as a result if you install the engine in another place, both will try to record from both unless you segregate your network. This can become very complex depending on what you wish to view with so I highly suggest just letting a single engine see all the tuners. (if you are using the "official" software/dvr... others work differently)

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”