Basic needs setup

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ForumUser

Basic needs setup

Postby ForumUser » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am

Hi All,

I have one TV, Apple TV gen 3, DVD (not sure why anymore), and AV receiver. I use a basic Harmony 650 to control the system, except for sound settings on the AVR.

Installing OTA antenna this week in attic with short cable run almost straight down into wall behind equipment so will have easy ethernet access from tuner box (my TV isn't really a TV - it is a monitor - 2017 low end Vizio without a tuner), to router.

I am unclear about options at this point ... I came up with three scenarios:

Scenario 1 - antenna to Homerun box, Homerun box ethernet cable to router, router allows wireless access on the wifi network, download Homerun app to iOS device, iOS device uses app to connect to Homerun box to search for channels and select channels, iOS device uses Screen Mirroring to get received channel onto the TV

Scenario 2 - antenna to Homerun box, Homerun box ethernet cable to router, router allows wireless access on the wifi network, download Homerun app to iOS device, iOS device uses app to connect to Homerun box to search for channels and select channels, download Channels to Apple TV, use whichever remote control you have to control Apple TV to select Channels which shows the matrix schedule for the channels the Homerun provides.

Scenario 3 - antenna to Homerun box, Homerun box ethernet cable to router, router allows wireless access on the wifi network, download Channels directly to Apple TV (does the new Apple TV download apps this way?), use whichever remote control you have to control Apple TV to select Channels which shows the matrix schedule for the channels the Homerun provides.

I assume I need to update to Apple TV Gen IV or 4K? Does this allow me to load the Homerun App? Or is there no HRapp that can be loaded to the Apple TV? If there is a HR app I can use on the Apple TV Gen 4/4K, will I be able to simply select the HR app, then the channel via my Harmony remote the same as any other content?

I understand Channels app at $25 will display schedules very well - do I do the initial search through it to the HR box, or via the Apple TV to HR app, or via iOS device/computer?

Looking for an easy way to understand this, but I would like to understand the signal flow.

Thanks!

rpcameron

Re: Basic needs setup

Postby rpcameron » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:05 pm

There is no HDHomeRun app for tvOS. You can use AirPlay to mirror an iOS instance of the HDHomeRun app to the AppleTV.

Channels has a native tvOS app. Their iOS app is no longer $25, but is now free. I'm not sure if the tvOS app has followed suit. However, it looks like Channels requires at least the AppleTV 4.

There are other apps out there (InstaTV) that may work with older Apple TV devices, but I am uncertain.

vttom

Re: Basic needs setup

Postby vttom » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 am

I've been thinking about giving Channels a try.

According to their website, if you pay the $8/mo DVR subscription, you can get the apps for free on every platform. Not sure how they manage that, because the apps have a fixed cost in the various app stores. Perhaps they credit back the $25 on the DVR subscription?

EDIT: I just found their FAQ. Apparently there is a separate "Channels DVR" app which is always free on any platform, but it will only work if you connect it to a DVR server. And you can't activate a DVR server without a subscription.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”