Two aerials into on HDHR with a splitter

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
leopheard

Two aerials into on HDHR with a splitter

Postby leopheard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi all,

I have ordered one of the 'cable cutter max' aerials as recommended on the HDHR website. The thing is I'm in an area with quite a few different towers - would the signal come through to the HDHR Extend box okay if I added more than one aerial into it via a splitter or would this confuse it?

jseymour

Re: Two aerials into on HDHR with a splitter

Postby jseymour » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 am

You don't want a splitter, per se, though that may work. What you want is a combiner, such as Channel Master CM-0500 JOINtenna TV Antenna Combiner.

No, it won't "confuse" the Extend, per se, but it may add to multipath interference problems and degrade it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 am

If you really have need of antennas pointed in different directions, you should really consider multiple devices and attach one device to each antenna as usually combining such a signal will lead to less than optimal results. Since you mentioned extend, you shouldn't have to worry too much about confusing the extend (or pair of them) as typically there will not be 2 (or more) identical virtual channel numbers in range that are not the same channel. But since you mentioned aerial rather than antenna you may have more to worry about such confusion as typically that word is not used as much in the US (extend is basically us/canada only) and often there are more issues of the same virtual channel number within reach.

SD's software is dependent on the scan, and if you get more than one of the same virtual channel number it will select the one with the higher resolution, or if the same, the better signal quality... usually this isn't an issue except if the channels are different programming as you still see the same thing and the same guide (it is possible a translator may have reduced audio or bit rate and may not be the one you prefer).

Third party software is usually not dependent on the scan and may allow such manual lineups

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 am

Hi all,

I have ordered one of the 'cable cutter max' aerials as recommended on the HDHR website. The thing is I'm in an area with quite a few different towers - would the signal come through to the HDHR Extend box okay if I added more than one aerial into it via a splitter or would this confuse it?
Would a backwards splitter work? - Probably (equal lengths of coax to each antenna would be best).

However - here's the tool for the job as described above and the great part is that Amazon's return policy is bulletproof (in case it doesn't work any better than that backwards splitter you were using while this was en-route) (lol):
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-C ... B01KW8LAG2

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”