Spectrum Cable Card Pairing Difficulties

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
historyvids
Device ID: 107407BA (Quatro) 132812AE (Prime)

Spectrum Cable Card Pairing Difficulties

Postby historyvids » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 am

I picked up a Prime recently and have been going through you know what trying to get Spectrum to pair the cable card.

I've supplied all the information from the "pairing" screen: the Cable Card ID, the Host ID and the Data ID but they keep asking me for a "Card Address" that should be a long set of numbers. I even pulled the card and gave them all the info printed on the card itself

The card has the following on it directly:

S/N:
UA: 000-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx
MAC:

The technician claims what they need is a "long string of numbers". Does anyone have any idea what they're talking about since none of that apparently fits the bill?

Edit: His reply "It would look something like 0000000008273775****" Isn't that just the UA from above without the dashes in it?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Spectrum Cable Card Pairing Difficulties

Postby signcarver » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Should not be needed... in theory anything from the card should have already been put in the system for your account before they sent it to you but occasionally they do request the serial number (or other number) printed on the card, for that reason I always take a picture of the card prior to reinserting it.

If you actually have a DataID which is only on motorola (arris) cards and can easily be reset from an improper signal being sent during the pairing process.

Many systems do need one to type in the dashes so make sure you read them (I believe this was a requirement for those that had both cisco and motorlola on a single system, or whose software supports such, as the dashes are in different places thus helps the software in some way contact the correct systems)

You may wish to check the cablecard pages for your cablecard from the CableCARD Menu to see if you can find the number they want (and yes most likely it is what you stated but the person had no clue so I would try to deal with another.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:49 pm

UA = Unit Address. Some cable providers do ask for that instead of the card ID or serial number.

JamesMi

Postby JamesMi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 am

i went through this with Spectrum a few years ago. I had to explain to them what i was doing but they just didn't understand. They sent a technician to my house and thankfully, they guy knew what he was doing. Had to replace the cable card - wrong rev or something and he had someone at Spectrum make some tweaks to finally get it working. Took a couple hours and was a real PIA but it's been working with my Prime ever since.

historyvids

Postby historyvids » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:09 am

They had to ship me another card and it has taken about 5-6 phone calls but it is paired now at least. Unfortunately it keeps missing channels during the channel scans. I have a **** already with a cable card and it does fine, but the HDHomeRun doesn't find all the basic channels it needs to. I did one scan and it picked up the Alternative feed of the SEC Network for example, but not the main channel. So I re-scanned and this time it picked up neither channel and dropped ESPNU in the process. None of those are SDV in our area. I can't quite understand why it finds them in one scan but not in the other.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

None of those are SDV in our area.
Does not matter if they are *actually* SDV, the device has to talk to and request the TA to perform the check, and if the TA is currently having a bad day (or just normal TA slow) you can miss it(*)(**). Might try swapping TAs (just the USB cable?) to see if the results change. Or even unplugging the TA to see what channels you get on a scan (not that you can probably run that way for anything other than the basic basic tier, but it might be an interesting data point).

(*) I believe there has been a request by a few people for a (VERY VERY VERY) slow but through scan option for tuners (both cable and OTA). Might take many hours, which is likely why it has never gained any traction, but there are cases where it might prove to be useful if only to know what is possible.

(**) With another icon result off to the right side of the channel list that is green/yellow/red for the last measured signal quality (well, probably need an arrow or thermometer since ADA compliance would not allow green/red...), and anything not green defaulting to disabled on a scan?

historyvids

Postby historyvids » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am

I don't have a TA at all.. just the CableCard was all they gave me. Some channels do come in on the scan fine, but disappear on the next one. Looking at the channel list now several have appeared on their own since my last scan.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am

I don't have a TA at all..
I believe most Charter markets require a TA (although location, location, location). And not having a TA when a TA is required will mean channels come and go, just as they are designed to do. If the market uses TAs, you should expect to need, and get, a TA. But I know that some CSRs will hand out CableCARDs without handing out a TA (I had a client who had to go back and get a TA after picking up a CableCARD and not getting what they actually needed).

historyvids

Postby historyvids » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am

I don't have a TA at all..
I believe most Charter markets require a TA (although location, location, location). And not having a TA when a TA is required will mean channels come and go, just as they are designed to do. If the market uses TAs, you should expect to need, and get, a TA. But I know that some CSRs will hand out CableCARDs without handing out a TA (I had a client who had to go back and get a TA after picking up a CableCARD and not getting what they actually needed).
Let me guess... pairing the TA is going to most likely be as big of a headache as the cable card was too... right?

JamesMi

Postby JamesMi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:17 pm

What is a TA?

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Let me guess... pairing the TA is going to most likely be as big of a headache as the cable card was too... right?
Maybe (as with much else, it depends, and YMWV). Last time I paired a CableCARD in a Charter market it took about 5 minutes of actual technical work (took longer for the various outside of the actual pairing steps to complete). The TA took a bit longer (I am going to say 15 minutes), but mostly because the TA takes a long long time to reboot and initially update and sync. I am sure you can find horror stories here (and elsewhere), but one needs to be careful of selection bias in doing the analysis.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm

What is a TA?
TA is a Tuning Adapter, aka Tuning Resolver. The two well known models are the MTR700 (in Moto/Arris markets) and the STA1520 (in SA/Cisco markets). They support SDV (Switched Digital Video), which is typically used by cable operators in bandwidth constrained markets to support all the channels since only some of the people are watching some of the channels some of the time, and that bandwidth can be used just for the active channels.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm

If you turn on the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066), then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and what channel numbers are having trouble, we can check the logs and see what is happening with those. If the channels are coming and going and you don't use a TA, then most likely it's a borderline signal, but the scan will give us a better idea.

historyvids

Postby historyvids » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Device ID is 132812AE

I turned on Sending of Diagnostics and performed another scan. It seems every time I do one I lose more channels. Specifically the sports channels in the early 800's seem to be the most affected.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:15 pm

About half the 800s need a TA. Several of the remaining ones are having trouble locking on, which usually means it's picking up some sort of interference. Make sure your HDHomeRun is not in close proximity to other electronics, particularly anything that deals with RF (cable modem, wireless router, cordless phone, cell phone/tablet/hotspot, radio, TV, etc.), and check to make sure all connections are finger-tight and that all cables are in good condition with no damage. Make sure that the connectors are securely attached to the rest of the cable, and also make sure that all outlets and splitter ports are either connected to something or properly terminated.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”