HDHomerun Prime intermittent pixelization

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
coworker23

HDHomerun Prime intermittent pixelization

Postby coworker23 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm

I've been using Windows Media Center + XBOX extender for 5 years. Recently (in the last year or so) I'm experiencing intermittent pixelization on pretty much any channel.

The pixelization is recorded within the Windows Media Center DVR, so that rules out the extender + server stream (pixelization is limited to HDHomeRun Prime <---> server.

The HDHomeRun Prime and server are connected to a gigabit switch. The server is an i5 ESXi server where the VM has reserved 16gb of RAM and all of the CPU threads. Performance monitoring shows no issues with CPU or memory issues. CPU is near idle and memory utilization is never above 4gb out of 16gb. I've completed a continuous ping between the server and the HDHomerun and experience zero packet loss. I've taken packet captures and see no issues with the stream at all. Everything points to the Prime sending the pixelation to the server, but the diagnostics of the primes (more than 1) look ok, which makes me think it's an issue with the primes themselves.

It's clear the pixelization is coming from the receiver. I have 3 HDHomeRun Primes. I've streamed the same channel via the XBOX and seen pixelation while streaming the same channel with the mobile app for a period of time and not seen any pixelation on the mobile app, but the mobile app also tuned into a different Prime than what the Media Center is relaying to the XBOX.

It's happening on more than 1 prime.

Virtual Channel 1029 PAR
Frequency 663.000 MHz
Program Number 2
Authorization subscribed
CCI Protection unrestricted
Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 100% (3.8 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (38.3 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 10.833 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.0.132

Virtual Channel 1013 ABCHD
Frequency 573.000 MHz
Program Number 1
Authorization subscribed
CCI Protection unrestricted
Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 100% (5.0 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (38.3 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 13.655 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.0.117

It's worked without this issue for 4+ years, but somethings changed, but i'm having a difficult time narrowing it down.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”