Setting up HD Homerun Prime with Optimum

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
stonysu

Setting up HD Homerun Prime with Optimum

Postby stonysu » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi I’ve been trying to setup my HD homerun prime with Optimum cable service. After I activated the cable card with Optimum, there are many channels that are still DRM (encrypted), ie CNBC, CNN, TNT etc although I normally subscribe to these channels with Optimum.

When I try to play these encrypted channels using HD homerun, I get a message that says, “Unable to play channel. HDCP required to play protected content.” Does anyone here know what HDCP means?

I haven’t been able to get much help from Optimum technical support. Have tried exchanging the cable card for a new card but still have same problem. One tech suggested I exchange my primary cable box. Does that make sense?

Any advice to get all the channels would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Setting up HD Homerun Prime with Optimum

Postby signcarver » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 am

what are you using for software/hardware to play the drm streams as very few things can actually play DRM protected content (WMC, SD's HDHomeRun App for windows 10. xbox one, android, and iOS, some SmartTV's that support dtcp-ip...)

HDCP is the protection mechanism used by the display path, and a number of things can trip it up such as bad cables, bad ports (I have routinely come across various TV's that one hdmi port may work but another wouldn't), etc.

If using WMC (win 7 or 8), it will always state similar if using a displayport connected display (rather than hdmi/dvi). If using the Windows 10 HDHomeRun App it can happen if another display is hooked up but not protected (often happens if a display is shut off). 4K also requires a higher level of hdcp that many display cards don't support so you might need to limit the display to 1080.

Also note there is a difference between DRM protection and encryption... decryption is handled by the cablecard but not all encrypted content is necessarily DRM protected... if your scan actually states they are DRM, that refers to the channels being "protected" and limits what software/hardware is capable of playing it back.

markfromBrooklyn

Postby markfromBrooklyn » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:32 am

I use Optimum with a Prime and Cablecard in Brooklyn NY and can confirm that many channels are DRM. Windows Media Center on Win 7 works with suitable hardware. If you are viewing on a computer connected to your TV your video card software may offer a way to check whether everything from PC to Video Card to TV or monitor is HDCP capable. My Nvidia driver lets me right click on desktop, click on Nvidia Control Panel, and then select View HDCP status. It shows that my display(TV or monitor) and video card both support HDCP. As above post indicated HDMI connection usually is best. Some laptops video card outputs do not support HDCP, which is required for DRM content. Windows Media Center is the only software that will record DRM content for later playback. All sports, news, and premium channels and many others are DRM. on Optimum.

mrdizle

Postby mrdizle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am

Hi, I was helping the OP set up his system offline...

He has a recent generation Intel NUC connected to the monitor with HDMI. He can view free channels well, but DRM channels give the HDCP error.

Also, when he uses an iPad or iPhone, it gives the same error.

I think both the NUC and iphone/ipad support HDCP fully right?

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am

He has a recent generation Intel NUC connected to the monitor with HDMI. He can view free channels well, but DRM channels give the HDCP error.

try a different HDMI cable and or port on the TV

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 am

Just because the NUC supports HDCP over the HDMI doesn't mean that the monitor does.
Does he also connect the iphone/ipad to the same monitor?
cables can cause issues on discovery
And of course there are driver issues, etc.. that can come in to play.

Key thing to keep in mind with HDCP is it's a negotiated protocol between the player and the display. If at any point something breaks don in the negotiation (cables, splitter, repeaters, etc.) the OS will mark it as HDCP not available and if the app needs it you will get the error.
So inspect everything in the chain - there are tools in windows at least that you can use to verify HDCP is valid

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 am

I have had similar issues with several kaby lake mini pcs (nuc and zotac). The only solution that I find works is to ditch the hdmi port and use usb-c or dp with an adapter. I hope this helps.

mrdizle

Postby mrdizle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks for your replies and help.

I asked him to swap out the HDMI cable for a new one. He currently is connected to a monitor but maybe he can try another monitor.

Regardless, the iPad and iPhone don't have monitors. He is playing directly on the HDHR app. So it should definitely be HDCP compliant right?

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am

Are the apple devices jailbroken? I am not an apple person but with android if you root your device, you will not be able to get drm channels. Also, visit my.hdhomerun.com and click on your tuner. Make sure under status all values show "success". If so, try updating your firmware. As far as the nuc goes, you will probably need an adapter for the monitor.

mrdizle

Postby mrdizle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am

Nothing is jailbroken, according to him. They are stock iOS devices.

He tried two cablecards, both same problem. Also, the CC menu on the HDHR says validation is a success.

Could the HDHR's DHCP capability be broken?

NoReDist
Device ID: FFFFFFFF

Postby NoReDist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am

HDCP protected-path has other requirements. OS on the NUC?
Got moca?... transport timing of the protected packets also must be <7ms or it will also fail.

mrdizle

Postby mrdizle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:35 am

His setup is HDHR to one port on the router.
And Intel NUC to another port on the router.
Will advise him to replace cable and try another monitor if possible.

Also he is using Windows 10.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Pretty much everything that has HDMI has HDCP. IIRC, HDMI licensing gives a discount for devices that have HDCP that ends up making the combined cost of licensing HDMI+HDCP less than the cost of licensing HDMI without HDCP, at least once you have enough volume to get past the base costs. Most HDCP-related issues on Windows 10 are either due to running at too high of a resolution (a lot of NUCs don't support HDCP 2.2 and therefore won't work at 4K resolution) or buggy drivers. Backing the resolution down to 1080p should fix any 2.2-related issues, and trying a different driver version might help on that side of things. Sometimes it takes a couple driver versions, because Intel has historically not done a good job of making HDCP work correctly.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”