True Costs of Cable Card setup

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
carterbunch

True Costs of Cable Card setup

Postby carterbunch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am

I am thinking about moving off of DirecTV Now and go with Prime or Prime 6(When it is available). I have an OTA to supplement and give me better control over my recordings. More than the 20 hours and 30 days that DirecTV Now gives me. But I wonder about the "true" cost of a cable card. It surely isn't as simple as just the fee for the cable card. Don't they charge for multiple room access, Broadcast Fee, regional sports fee, etc... If that is the case it seems to make the cable card less appealing. I am wondering if other Comcast customers can share their experiences on "true" costs so I can make an informed decision.

rrussis82

Re: True Costs of Cable Card setup

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 pm

no. Just rental for card if it applies, depends on carrier. I do not get a per tuner charge, no HD Technology Fee, I do get a broadcast fee (tax) of like $6. But my base package price plus the $6 fee is what my bill is.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 pm

All "fees" apply when applicable to your package (the only one you listed that you probably shouldn't see is multi-room unless this is an additional device in some markets). The actual fees vary widely by market and the cost savings is typically only that of additional boxes (form many providers this can be a $7-$12 savings per month per box and for some this can replace 3 boxes (or 6 in the case of the upcoming prime 6). You would have to have something at each tv to be able to view the streams (android TV, xbox one, htpc,...)

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:34 pm

I am thinking about moving off of DirecTV Now and go with Prime or Prime 6(When it is available). I have an OTA to supplement and give me better control over my recordings. More than the 20 hours and 30 days that DirecTV Now gives me. But I wonder about the "true" cost of a cable card. It surely isn't as simple as just the fee for the cable card. Don't they charge for multiple room access, Broadcast Fee, regional sports fee, etc... If that is the case it seems to make the cable card less appealing. I am wondering if other Comcast customers can share their experiences on "true" costs so I can make an informed decision.
Comcast's website makes it sound like there are no fees attached for the first CableCARD provided for consumer owned equipment. It was that way for years, then one day I noticed they were charging me a $10 "outlet" fee. I called to ask what that was about, and the customer service tech simply discounted service for the $10.

Now I tell people to mention this, as they still make this claim on their website ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... cablecards )
Will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail CableCARD device is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (as is the case with certain older model **** devices), a charge will apply.
I don't know if it's standard practice for them to remove the fee, if the fee was in error, or if this was just one particular support tech trying to make me happy, but it never hurts to raise the issue with Comcast. They certainly make it sound like there should be no fee on that first CableCARD, and they've yet to change their website to reflect any fees.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:59 pm

You are paying Broadcast and Regional Sports fees with Direc tv now, it's just included in the price. Also cable taxes are less than streaming

goofnroxx

Postby goofnroxx » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:19 am

For Comcast, if you're not using any of their boxes you should get a $2.50/mo credit when using a cable card. I've had this credit long enough that it's just about paid for the prime by itself.

https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentpolicy

EDIT: I was curious, so I went back and checked. I bought my prime in August 2013, so 63 months x $2.50 = $157.50 which *is* more than I paid for the prime new ($139). It's now just sitting there making me money. It's like a bit-coin miner except the value doesn't crash! Thanks SD!

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 am

On my Comcast Bill, i noticed they still list as having my own equipment, but stopped displaying the discount, but the same month that stopped (may 2018), my package price showed as $2.50 cheaper. I've called to complain that I'm not getting the discount and they say I am. I told them I want it displayed (especially since rates went up this month, how do i know it is still there if i don't have a previous month showing what the new rate is with or without card?) because i want to clearly see it as peace of mind. Still nothing

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 am

Comcast charges me 2 cards for 3.00 and gives me a Credit of $5.00. So I get $2.00 for 2 primes … We do rent one HD box.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”