Works on a Smart TV or not?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Fortune

Works on a Smart TV or not?

Postby Fortune » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:43 am

I think the Connect Duo is a great product but have serious issues with how it's marketed on Amazon.

In the description it says, "You can now easily watch another program in a different room or enjoy football in the yard - whether on Android TV device, phone, tablet, computer or smart TV." Note that it does not say anything about having to have a specific brand or type of smart TV.

So I purchased it thinking if I followed directions I would just be able to turn on the TV, click the app and watch. The hardware set up was easy. But the website where further instructions are supposed to be is terrible!!! It's just a bunch of advertising. The only instructions were for the premium service. I couldn't find anything for just general set up.

The app did immediately showed up on my Samsung smart TV. But all I get are a set of "folders". (I'm working with tech support on this.)

In the meantime I downloaded the app to my Android phone and mirrored it to the tv. That worked. But it was just a lucky guess to try that. Again, no instructions or guidance about doing so!

AND it's not what I want to do! I don't want to have to use my phone to use this device. That's not how it's advertised on Amazon! As said, I just want to turn on my tv, choose the app and watch.

Also, it seems like if I did want to mirror, I could not do so with my partners Apple 6 phone, at least not on my Samsung smart TV. Nothing said about that either. If it is possible once again there are no instructions or guidance.

This product is being marketed in a very deceptive way and without clear, EASY set up instructions!

rrussis82

Re: Works on a Smart TV or not?

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 pm

So you decided not to do any research into the product before purchase? This website clearly states what it is compatible with or not. and yes viewing it with DLNA on your Samsung is considered viewing TV, but if you want a guide you need to use the compatible devices or use a 3rd party device. https://www.silicondust.com/live-tv/#devices

Fortune

Postby Fortune » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm

I did research. But their marketing is not clear to the average user. Their website is not very user friendly either. Especially since the instructions that came with the unit send you to a marketing website, nothing about set up.

You said, viewing it with DLNA on your Samsung is considered viewing...". I don't know what you mean by DLNA. I don't get most of what is said by users on this forum. I very much doubt a person who does not have a technical background or understand this technology would.

Silicon Dust needs to provide better instructions, and clarify their marketing.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:27 pm

DLNA is what you mentioned earlier, folders as channels. Before the view app was in existence, that was the only way outside of WMC and other media players to view them.

The website under Live TV tab shows the compatible devices that work with SD's APP. other third party apps like Plex or Emby also work but must pay for a premium subscription to do it. If all you want is viewing and not DVR or the extra premium channels, it's free and HDHomerun APP is free. The smart TVs that work with the APP are Sony's AndroidTV based SmartTVs, any with FireTVOS build it. They had one a while back for Samsung, but Samsung vastly screwed over SD and I doubt there will ever be an official APP for it. I hear LGs WebOS will also work when the new user interface comes out.

Other than those you need an external device, those listed on the website I linked earlier. AndroidTV, Windows 10 device, FireTV, Linux, etc. Thos will have the HDhomerun APP. There are other 3rd party apps that work with HDHomerun but cost money, Channels APP, Plex, and Emby. but if you don't understand the HDHomerun itself, you will not understand how to use Emby or Plex.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Here is a good video on how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyjTW9E ... MfX3e&t=0s

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”