UK Freeview HD Channels Missing

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
grazza2a

UK Freeview HD Channels Missing

Postby grazza2a » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi there,

First time user of a HDHomerun product. I have the HDHomerun Connect Duo. I have successfully installed it except I am missing UK Freeview channels on the COM7 and COM8 multiplexes. These hold the majority of HD Freeview channels. Can users or SiliconDust tell me if this model is compatible with these frequencies? To confirm, the HDHomerun Connect is connected to the same antenna as a TV and set top box that are each able to receive these multiplexes without difficulties.

I have this model and latest firmware:
Model: HDHR5-2DT
Device ID: 12419392
Firmware: 20180817

A list of expected channels I am not receiving can be found here: https://www.a516digital.com/p/com7-and-com8.html

Any guidance, gratefully appreciated.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: UK Freeview HD Channels Missing

Postby jasonl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then reply back.

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. To confirm ,I've installed the HDHomerun Windows 10 app, enabled diagnostics and re-ran the channel scan twice. The first time, I went from 140 channels down to 135 but the COM7/8 multiplexes were picked up. The missing channels were shown but other channels were missing and some showing as unknown. I ran the scan again and the number jumped up to 167 (this is the usual number). COM7/8 channels disappeared but a number of unknown channels appeared. Could the HDHomerun be locking on to the wrong transmitter? I do live in an overlap area. Is there an option to manually tune the unit?

EDIT: I had installed the viewing app before but have now realised there is a beta setup program. This is now installed and "send diagnostics" enabled. If these weren't being received before, I hope they are now. Channels on COM7/8 multiplexes haven't shown again since the scan I described above.

Thank you for your support.

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Just bumping this - hope diagnostics are being received. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Do you have an antenna amplifier connected? The scans look like the signal is getting overloaded.

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:04 am

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes, I'm using an aerial splitter/amplifier to run the signal to both my FreeviewHD Play recorder and the HDHomerun Connect.

Running the aerial directly to the HDHomerun as a test, Com7/8 channels are picked up. Only Com 8 channels are added to the channel lineup correctly. COM7 channels are mis-numbered. If the diagnostics have a date and time stamp - see 27/01/2019 at 10:58am (UK)

Firstly, would a RF attenuator help with the overloaded signal? Any advice on which based on the diagnostics you see?
Secondly, is there a way I can renumber channels that aren't numbered or named correctly?

Again, I truly appreciate the level of support.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:54 am

When you connect it directly, can you trigger a channel scan for us?
  1. Go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click Detect Channels
Then reply back here.

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:37 am

Re tune complete as requested - connected directly to the aerial - there was no firmware to update. A large number of channels are mi-numbered. COM7/8 channels are missing.

Thanks in advance.

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Just a polite bump to see if there's any fresh thoughts based on the last scan you requested. Thanks in advance.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:02 pm

The logs suggest you may be picking up some interference from lower frequency signals. This is something that is not uncommon in the UK. We have found that adding a high pass filter/braid breaker such as the top item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/d70.html can drastically improve reception in cases like this.​

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:05 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go 👍

grazza2a

Postby grazza2a » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:39 am

Yep, that worked :D Thanks for the advice and support. Very much appreciated.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”