Advice on best “remote box” for a smart TV?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
momo2000

Advice on best “remote box” for a smart TV?

Postby momo2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 am

I searched for a “sticky” somewhere that might answer this, but didn’t find. If there is one, please point.
I want to purchase a HDhomerun Connect Quatro as my “main unit”. Now what I need are two “remote boxes” for my two TVs in the house. They are both Samsung Smart TVs, but are before the 2016 updates that have the ability to receive directly. It looks like there is NOT an “box” from SD as all of those have tuners in them, and I don’t need any more tuners, I just need a “box” to receive the stream from the HDhomerun Connect Quatro and display on my TV. I don’t need any add’l services I the “box” I just need the ability to receive the stream from the HDhomerun Connect Quatro.

I’d also prefer a “box” this is instant on (or can stay on or in standby), like my current cable tv box is. Just won’t work if the wife has to wait for the TV to boot, then load an app, then get the stream 😉

Maybe 7 years ago I had a SD box that I used with my SageTV software and then I had simple dumb $99 “extender boxes” (Hauppauge) that I had on every TV. I’m thinking of something similar, or maybe my thinking is warped from that old setup??? Please correct if my thinking is wrong.

techpro2004

Re: Advice on best “remote box” for a smart TV?

Postby techpro2004 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 am

My recommendation is to get a nvidia shield and sideload tasker on it. Tasker is like eventghost for android and allows the shield to autoload the hdhomerun app on startup/resume. My shields do this so fast that they are up and running by the time my tv turns on. You will also need a flirc if you want to use an ir remote with it. The neat thing about the shield is it also supports live channels so you can give your wife a choice of which ui she likes.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am

I like a Raspberry Pi for that job. Typically $40, but you have to add a case and power supply (~$10 each), an MPEG-2 license (~$3) and a mouse and/or keyboard. Install a free OS (there are several), Kodi and the HDHomeRun plugin.

One drawback is that once you shut it down, the only way to restart it is to remove and restore power. So I just close the HDHR plugin and leave the Pi running.

momo2000

Postby momo2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies! Ill check in to the Nvidia solution. I have used the Pi on a previous project, but was hoping for an off the shelf solution for this. Another thought=> Can I use one of the SD Connects or Extends as a "box" for a TV in another part of the house (as described above)? I don't really need the tuners, but just want to be able to watch live TV (and the SD premium channels subscription) and watch recordings that the MAIN SD device has recorded. In otherwords, can the Connect or Extend and just as a "box"?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm

They are your tuners that output over the network to a client device, not what displays the content. The TV's each need something to be a client to render the stream..

momo2000

Postby momo2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm

signcarver: Thanks, that is what I assumed, but wasn't sure. Looking at some of the solutions tonight.

vttom

Postby vttom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 pm

There are admittedly some quirks, but my main "box" for running the HDHR app on my living room TV is the Amazon Fire TV stick (the non-4K version). They're cheap (< $40), so it might be worth trying one before buying a Shield at 2x to 3x the price.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”