Line across top of screen

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sfatula

Line across top of screen

Postby sfatula » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 am

Not sure what it is, but, sometimes, on some OTA channels, I get a horizontal line across the top of the screen that flickers. I have read in other places, it could be closed caption info or other such stuff. Essentially, what they say is change TV settings to scale the screen a little larger and eliminate the line by that method. But my TV does not have that feature.

Is there a reason the HDHomerun does this though? If I switch to antenna directly without playing through the HDHomerun, there is never any such line. Is there a tuning in the HDHomerun to eliminate this line? it's not constant, just here and there.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Line across top of screen

Postby ACraigo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 am

[removed by moderator]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am

Hi,

That line is the closed caption data from the old analog days. It isn't present in modern content.

Modern TVs tuned to a TV channel zoom the picture by about 5% so you lose the edges of the video.
Old tube TVs lost a varying amount of the edges of the video as the edges of the screen wern't straight.

The HDHomeRun apps display the full picture when play 16:9 content on a 16:9 screen.

Is the channel you are viewing 4:3 or 16:9? Which app/platform are you using?

Nick

sfatula

Postby sfatula » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 am

It is indeed modern content, like Seal Team as an example. Definitely not SD. So, 16:9 content on a 16:9 TV. When I use the TV ATSC tuner, I see no line. When using HDHomerun, I sometimes do see the line. To watch HDHomerun, am using emby.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 pm

It is indeed modern content, like Seal Team as an example. Definitely not SD. So, 16:9 content on a 16:9 TV. When I use the TV ATSC tuner, I see no line. When using HDHomerun, I sometimes do see the line. To watch HDHomerun, am using emby.
The video scaling is a property of the player - if you are using Emby you will need to ask them to make the adjustment.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”