Way to upgrade firmware without Windows 10 or Mac

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
64user

Way to upgrade firmware without Windows 10 or Mac

Postby 64user » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a CONNECT 1049DFC which I've been using for a few years. I would like to upgrade the firmware, but don't have a computer capable of running Windows 10 or Mac OS X. It currently has version 20161117 (which I could swear I loaded on there somehow). Is there any other way to get the firmware updated? I have a boatload of Raspberry Pi's, and some 32-bit PCs running NetBSD and WindowsXP.

I'm fairly competent with computers; if I have to write my own software do this, I can, provided I had the information on how to get the firmware and get it into the device. But I can hardly imagine that I'd have to do that. There must be some other way.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Way to upgrade firmware without Windows 10 or Mac

Postby nickk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Under Linux you need the hdhomerun_config command line util. It is a package on some distributions or you can compile libhdhomerun yourself (just extract and "make"):
https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/

Suggest copying the resulting hdhomerun_config util to /usr/local/bin/

Then upgrade the firmware:
hdhomerun_config <device id> upgrade <filename>

The firmware downloads are on the same page linked above.

Nick

64user

Postby 64user » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:15 am

Thank you. I will give that a try.

64user

Postby 64user » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 am

This just plain works from a Raspberry Pi.

Thank you!!

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:52 am

Note that recent firmware on current generation devices offers the ability to update released firmware directly from the device web pages (the system status page). One can get the device url references from http://my.hdhomerun.com which provides the device links. The issue comes about for those who choose to run beta firmware, those for which their tuners do not have direct Internet access, or for those whose tuner is sufficiently backlevel in firmware releases (your case) such that that upgrade option is not yet offered. Now that you have updated the firmware using the cli, you may never have to do it that way again.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

Of course, if you have multiple devices, having a one-liner that can upgrade all of your devices is nice, too (assuming they are all the same model):

Code: Select all

for D in DEVICEID_1 DEVICEID_2 …; do hdhomerun_config $D upgrade firmware.bin; done

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”