Best support for HDHR3 among 2018 Smart TV's

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
timlank

Best support for HDHR3 among 2018 Smart TV's

Postby timlank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 am

If we were to get a new Smart TV in Dec. 2018 that would best work with our HDHR3, what brands/models would you recommend?

rrussis82

Re: Best support for HDHR3 among 2018 Smart TV's

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 am

Would it be a main TV or a bedroom TV, What else do you do with the TV besides watch TV? and Gamers? High action movies? etc. You are asking a a very broad question.

Also i see HDHR 3 listed as a prime or an OTA, can you be specific on that too

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:31 am

Currently the only TVs that support the HDHomerun APP is an AndroidTV and FireTVOS. I believe SD will be making one for LG's WebOS but i have not heard anything official.

The FireTVs are great and easy to navigate, but you you want superb picture in a home theatre environment, it will not make the cut. I have a FireTV in my bedroom and it is perfect for that application, I do not think it would perform in my living room watching an action packed movie or a football game, or anything in a darker environment on screen as the blacks are not that great.

If you plan to us 3rd party apps to view, and are not in a DRM situation, just about any SmartTV with an APP store has Plex or Emby available, but those will usually require a subscription. My Samsung TV in my living room is a 2016 and the PLEX App does not have the grid guide on the Live TV so I use Emby on there and it's great.

So to answer your question, it all depends what you are planning to do with the TV, are you in a DRM situation and not open to 3rd party apps?

Best plan is to get a TV that performs how you want regardless of Smarts and get a Smart Box like an Nvidia Shield.

timlank

Postby timlank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:33 am

Sorry about that.

We'd be getting both a main TV and bedroom TV. Both would be using the HDHR3 prime (circa a couple of years ago) to connect to Comcast Xfinity. No games or high action movies, mainly just cable television (fair amount of sports) and Netflix movies.

I'm hoping to determine the brands/models that are the most compatible with this unit as well as easiest to setup & operate.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 am

For bedroom, go with FireTVs, Toshiba has one exclusively at Best Buy, great prices for that type of TV. Has th HDHomerun APP (no DRM Viewing tho)

For living room, If you want integration with the HDHomerun APP, get a good Sony with Android TV. (can view DRM)

But like i mentioned earlier. I do not buy TVs based on Smart OS because almost all TV brands stop supporting them after a few years. It is best to get a Smart device to hook up to a TV like an "AndroidTV" Box (Nvidia Shield, Mibox, Jetstream, AirTV, etc, NOT CHEAP CHINESE BOXES THAT SAY "Android TV Box" that run tablet version of Android.) or a FireTVOS pendant, cube, 4K Stick, Etc.

Be aware Xfinity has DRM on premium channels such as HBO and Showtime. If you desire to watch these if you subscribe, only AndroidTV (non rooted, unmodified) and Windows 10 device can view DRM at the moment.

timlank

Postby timlank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 am

So for the best integration with the HD Homerun App and our couple-year-old HD Homerun Prime 3 with cable card, any of the following would be the most recommended currently?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/t ... android-tv

outside of HBO/Showtime, are there any Sports channels that have DRM on Comcast Xfinity? Most specifically, we're interested in NBC Sports Regional channels in the 210+/(Select) category.

Sounds like this is the easiest route to get up and running fully from the start. In a couple of years when Sony drops support for the version of Android TV or other Smart TV components, we can move to the Nvidia Shield or whatever the latest/greatest is in that market then.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am

Ill tell you my setup, as I too have Xfinity with the cable card.
I have a subscription that includes Showtime so DRM is a slight concern for me. I have a 2016 Samsung TV in my living room hooked up to an Nvidia Shield. The shield has DRM viewing capabilities so I am all set there. I can watch all the channels I subscribe to with this TV and Shield Combo. Occasionally I use Emby on the Samsung if i need to move my shield to another TV (for others playing games purposes) which I can view All channels except Showtime and Flix. In my bedroom I use a Toshiba FireTV. To get around the DRM i just downloaded the Showtime APP on FireTV and I can watch all my non DRM channels on the FireTV using HDHomerun APP and if i see something on showtime, go to their app to watch it. A second Bedroom TV is an older TV that does not have 4K and is not smart. I use a FireTV Pendant on it and do the same thing, HDHomerun APP for viewing TV, Showtime APP for watching Showtime.

Emby and Plex has my movie libraries and just use those APPS to watch my movies. I have Amazon prime and the Shield and the FireTV has that APP, and the Samsung TV does too. I do not have Netflix, but all those devices do support Netflix. I also have Pluto TV on all my devices.

I do not believe Sports are DRM. but I don't subscribe to extra Sports packages

There are many combinations at many different price points that work. If you want all integration, no boxes, and subscribe to DRM channels. Go with Sony's Android TV and be done. No boxes, no extra wiring, integrated into the TV. no workaround for watching DRM and all channels you subscribed to in one APP without switching....

Also a side note with Sony Android TV. The Live Channels APP has a built in (Free) DVR if you hook up a Hard Drive via USB to the TV. and select Network Tuner (beta) as the source. (Cannot view or record DRM using Network tuner), and if you select HDHomerun as a source you can unselect all non DRM channels and be able to view the DRM (cannot record DRM on anything) in Live Channels. Then also add Pluto TV as a source and have all your viewing needs, free DVR in one APP.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:05 am

So for the best integration with the HD Homerun App and our couple-year-old HD Homerun Prime 3 with cable card, any of the following would be the most recommended currently?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/t ... android-tv

outside of HBO/Showtime, are there any Sports channels that have DRM on Comcast Xfinity? Most specifically, we're interested in NBC Sports Regional channels in the 210+/(Select) category.

Sounds like this is the easiest route to get up and running fully from the start. In a couple of years when Sony drops support for the version of Android TV or other Smart TV components, we can move to the Nvidia Shield or whatever the latest/greatest is in that market then.
Any of those TVs in that link will work with the HDHR3. Some are EXPENSIVE! I am not going to tell you which you should buy because it is your eye watching it and your wallet buying it. you do not need top notch viewing quality in a bedroom, so go with a cheaper one for there. and compare the specs, the reviews, and base your decision on the best living room TV you want for what price.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”