Getting Started with Wifi

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Nesfire18

Getting Started with Wifi

Postby Nesfire18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Just opening up a present...My NEW HD HomeRun CONECT QUATRO!!! I'm excited to get started with it and get rid of my DirectTV, however, it looks like I need to plug my Quatro directly into my router. Is this true? Our router is in the basement and the primary TV is on the first floor. Will the unit pick up wifi or is there another option? Can you plug it in down by the router and get the channels on any TV? The box says "4 Tuners"... Thanks in advance.

~Mike

markfromBrooklyn

Re: Getting Started with Wifi

Postby markfromBrooklyn » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:20 pm

It must be connected to an antenna to receive over the air broadcasts. It also must be connected to your network, preferably by Ethernet cable to your router, or to a switch that is connected to your router. WiFi to the network is possible but difficult as usually does not work well. It also must be plugged in to a power outlet with the included power supply. See https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-quatro/
and
https://www.silicondust.com/wordpress/w ... v-2018.pdf

WiFi may work from the router to the device you use to play, whether a smart TV or a computer or other device. I think you need a Cat 5e or better Ethernet cable from Quatro to router and a hardwired coaxial connection to an antenna.

Nesfire18

Postby Nesfire18 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you. It appears that in order to "Cut the Cord" it seems I need to run more cords than I have now!

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi,

Wifi is good for client devices to watch TV from a HDHomeRun. We recommend the HDHomeRun unit itself is connected to your home router/network via an Ethernet cable.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”