Does connect support Clear QAM over cable?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
easperhe

Does connect support Clear QAM over cable?

Postby easperhe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:46 pm

All,

Sorry this is a newbie question. But I want to know before I purchase. Does HDHR-Connect and/or HDHR-Prime support Clear QAM broadcasts from Comcast? I'd like to not pay comcast for TV anymore and just for internet. I thought cable companies had to provide local broadcast stations in ClearQAM. But not sure which HD device(s) support Clear QAM.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Does connect support Clear QAM over cable?

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Both support clear qam but virtually no comcast area should have clear qam any longer so double check that. Though you may get clear qam with an internet package comcast these days will consider such a theft of service in most areas unless you are in a place like an apartment complex where they are paying for basic (someone has to pay as even locals are no longer "free" as the station needs their retransmission fees).

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 pm

... unless you are in a place like an apartment complex where they are paying for basic
In most areas that individuals have reported where "basic" is billed as part of the MDU lease fees (i.e. "hidden"), Comcast typically provides a HD-DTA as there is no ClearQAM left across Comcast (the usual exceptions always noted).

FWIW, there are anecdotal horror stories regarding trying to upgrade to one of the higher tiers and still maintain any of that "basic" discount (which is $20-$30/mo, and every Jackson and Hamilton still counts), as the discounts apparently only apply to the MDU, and not the individual. So people who want to use Comcast as their TV provider and want more than "basic" have to (essentially) pay for "basic" twice (once as part of their lease, and once as a TV subscriber). The usual answer to those people is they may want to consider subscribing to one of the OTT services that do not include the OTAs (such as the HDHR Premium TV service, to name one that might not end up being cloaked with the usual ********s).

easperhe

Postby easperhe » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:57 am

Yea- read how republicans on FCC in 2012 got rid of clear QAM - didn't know that. I was intending to subscribe to limited basic channels. They say no box is required. but you think that still need a HD-DTA to see them?

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/channel-l ... ited_basic

Note: I checked for OTA options where I live and it doesn't seem like I get much (ABC, Fox, PBS and that's it)

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:35 am

Yea- read how republicans on FCC in 2012 got rid of clear QAM
Sorry to break up a good conspiracy theory, but the vote was unanimous by the FCC under the majority of the other party(*). And they did not actually get rid of it, they allowed it to be removed with various transition requirements, which most of the majors at this point have either done, or are in progress to complete (some are taking their time). The exception of the majors is one who implement the essence in a different way. The discussion included a "Think of the children!" argument (worded differently), along with the loss protection (theft of service), and worker safety arguments.

(*) There were two qualified concurrences, which thought the order supporting (essentially) Boxee to be overly broad, but in the end Boxee is now dead, so it does not really matter and that requirement is has sunsetted in any case.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”