HDHR Prime Issues with CBS (Comcast Xfinity)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dcburnquist

HDHR Prime Issues with CBS (Comcast Xfinity)

Postby dcburnquist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm noticing that CBS (MPEG-2?) gives us a whole bunch of trouble with glitches and "reception" even though we're using a CableCard and not OTA. I've done some tests and it seems the streaming rate drops from roughly 13-20mbps down to roughly 2-7mbps when the glitches occur. Even more strangely, it only seems to appear during the late night talk shows (Colbert, Corden, etc.).

Is there something I can do with the HDHR Prime or settings to help this? It seems like maybe the HDHR is struggling with the possible MPEG-2 format of CBS on Comcast Xfinity?

Please help, as all of our live or recorded CBS viewing has become essentially unwatchable!

Thanks in advance.

tmm1

Re: HDHR Prime Issues with CBS (Comcast Xfinity)

Postby tmm1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Post your device ID and enable diagnostics via my.hdhomerun.com

dcburnquist

Postby dcburnquist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Post your device ID and enable diagnostics via my.hdhomerun.com
Aman, is that you!? We chat over on the Channels forum, same username.

ID: 131F26C1

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Is there something I can do with the HDHR Prime or settings to help this?
Probably not (although SD can look at the diagnostic data during their regular business hours (I do not expect them to work the 24th/25th, and I have no idea about the reset of this upcoming week)). The SD tuners just send along the bits as received. While it is possible that there is a reception issue with that particular channel (you can look at the signal quality and use the CLI to gain additional debugging information), it may also be something about the encoding. Comcast places a large number of channels in one 6MHz QAM transport stream, and your CBS station may be bit-starved due to other channels sharing that stream (if all the stations sharing that stream all have high transitions/movement at the same time, something has to suffer), and the result would be various forms of visual artifacts. It is possible you might see it on other channels too, but you would have to be watching them.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”