Unable to pull all channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
filosad

Unable to pull all channels

Postby filosad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Device ID: 131DDA40
Firmware: 20180817

Out of 600+ channels I receive on my STB, I am not even getting half of that with the HDHomerun. Any ideas ? I thought there was an issue with my carrier after I switch services. I verified that I get all the channels on my carriers STB w/o any issues. It is something to do with the software.

Please advise....filosad

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Unable to pull all channels

Postby signcarver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 pm

What provider? Do you need a tuning adapter? Is the card properly provisioned?

filosad

Postby filosad » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:51 pm

The answers to your questions are as follows:

What provider? Verizon Fios
Do you need a tuning adapter? No I do not. Had Verizon Fios prior and was not required.
Is the card properly provisioned? I know the card should be activated. After calling the activation line and following the voice prompt, I was told that the card is already activated. Also the rep. at the Verzion Fios Store stated the same.

Any ideas ? Filosad......

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:05 pm

what does the tuner log (preferably shortly after a power cycle) or cablecard page say? Usually the issue with verizon is sending a hit that changes the DataID which ends up without being validated but that usually only affects DRM channels. Other issues with verizon has been VCTID not being set but that usually wouldn't give you any channels unless you aren't using the cablecard at all (then clear qam will work) but it may just be the wrong VCTID.

Since you said it has to do with software, what software as SD's software just uses what is reported from the device (though if you disabled any, those would not be shown).

You may want to go to <ip-of-tuner>/lineup.html?show=all (i.e 192.168.1.10/lineup.html?show=all though your ip would be different, you may wish to get to the tuner from my.hdhomerun.com, click on the lineup then at the end of the url (assuming you went to lineup) add
?show=all (I prefer looking at the json and using using .json?show=all) Are the missing channels there but struck through? This would most likely indicate it couldn't tune the channel during the scan, often because the card hadn't been provisioned to be subscribed to the channel.

filosad

Postby filosad » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:06 pm

The stations that are stricken out on the Cablecard cane be accessed via the Verizon STB w/o any issues. I know the Cablecard is activated as that is what is stated when calling Verizon. How can you provisioned the subscribed channels ? I have re-started the HDHomerun and re-inserted the Cablecard, what's next ?
Device ID: 131DDA40
Firmware: 20180817
Thanks.....filosad

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:05 pm

All of it is on you telling Verizon what the issue is. They have no idea if it is properly set up as the U in OCUR (which is what a prime is) stands for unidirectional so unless a tech is at your house, they can't tell you a thing. In general for verizon cablecard issues I suggest using verizon direct at dslreports.com... In such message, I would state you are not getting all your channels.

Part of provisioning is loading the your packages to the card, that may not have been done properly. Other parts are making sure you get authentication and validation and a virtual channel table (and they may have provisioned it with the wrong one).

In some cases the scans can be unreliable in detecting channels. I suggest trying to manually tune in vlc: open a network stream and use
http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v# where # is the channel number you would like to try and tune (you may wish to copy the link from one of the working channels from the lineup page then just change the number after the v), then note any reported issue in the tuner's log. If any frequency is being tuned that is 999MHz, that indicates that the channel isn't properly set in the table. I would also check the tuner status of the particular tuner that was used to check the signal (you may wish to use config_gui to check each channel (frequency) to see if it is a signal issue). One other thing that can hinder scans (particularly when a tuning adapter is not used) is the power supply as when there is no TA, it will use all 3 tuners and often the first sign of a power supply going bad is that 1 or 2 of the tuners don't work well particularly if other tuners are in use.

You haven't posted anything relevant from the various pages for any of the community members to help you... since you did post your DeviceID make sure you have enabled reporting (sending of diagnostics data) and run a scan and inform SD that you did so (and I suggest also stating the time you ran the scan) so nickk or jasonl can check the logs (I don't believe nateb can actually check anything to be of use but he may forward a request to someone else to check on things).

filosad

Postby filosad » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:28 am

I noticed that many of the channels were mark as 'unsubscribed' in the SD Tuner Summary. After placing a call with Verizon, the card needed to be re-paired. Now I have 317 channels in my channel Line-up. I do noticed that there are a couple of channels that I am entitled too that still do not show up in the channel lineup. I enabled 'send diagnostic info' and performed a channel scan at 1:20 EST. I might have to place another call with Verizon today to see if they can resolve the issue. I was puzzled that after the initial call with Verizon, everything was paired but still many channels were missing. Now only a few channels are missing. Hopefully either the logs I send to SD or Verizon will have a resolution.
Thanks...................filosad.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Does the cablecard page say it is validated as just a few channels now sounds like a DRM issue (on fios that would be the national "fox" cable channels, though fox news can vary by market, and hbo/max) which would require proper (full) pairing... it also requires a proper client to handle DRM. Often when they pair they send a ht that changes the DataID so they need to manually enter the new number without sending that hit

filosad

Postby filosad » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 pm

When I http into the IP of the Cablecard tuner, it indicates that the Cablecard is validated. What I found interesting, is that I am paying for the South Indian package (channels 1750 -> 1754), channels 17552 and 1754 is missing. Also, I noticed that some of the channels only work in HD and not SD. For instance, LMN (channel 141 - SD and channel 641 HD). HD is ok, SD does not even show up in the channel list when I iP into the Cablecard tuner. I placed a second call today with Verizon today, they want to ship out a replacement Cablecard. I am not sure if a replacement Cablecard wil resolve the issue. I guess I have to follow the Verizon script and take it to a higher tier if the replacement card does not work. I know there might be issues with some channels that are not included in a certain package, but if I can receive LMN in HD I should be able to receive in SD, correct ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks.......filosad......

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:29 pm

I guess I have to follow the Verizon script
Often that is the only way forward.
Am I missing something ?
You can try to call Verizon support and tell them that you are not able to tune all the channels you subscribe to. For some providers (I have no idea regarding Verizon) that type of wording is something they know how to fix for CableCARD users (as it means that the package(s) are not properly associated with either the account, or the card, or both). If the card went through various stages of activations and validations and enablements (as it appears yours has) it can end up being in a slightly wrong status. It rarely hurts to try to make that call (well, other than the time spent on hold, but maybe you enjoy Opus Number 1).

FWIW, one of the things that getting a new CableCARD ends up doing is that all the activations/validations/enablements will be done again, often in the correct right order so that can fix the symptoms you are experiencing (typically it can also be done with your existing card, but it needs a CableCARD expert on the provider to deal with the various incantations which depends on the specifics of your area, and the true experts are usually hard to engage).

filosad

Postby filosad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello, Earlier this past week I have received my replacement Cablecard. After provisioning was completed, I experienced the same issue with some of the channels not locking (especially the South Indian stations). I worked with Verizon Support, but after a couple of hours it was suggested that a Tech. come on-site. What was also strange, is that some of the SD channels will not lock on the STB but will lock on the HDHomerun (???). Today, 12/30/2018 I decided to re-start the ONT and the Quantum Router to see if that would make a difference. I still have the same issue after the re-boot. The only other thing is that when I had the older ONT, I did not experience any issues. it was only after the ONT was changed out for the newer smaller model. I m not sure if that would make a difference, but I will indicate that to the Verizon Tech. when he comes on-site. It is strange that some of the channels will lock and the others will not. As I stated before, none of these issues raised when using the older ONT. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.......filosad

filosad

Postby filosad » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:47 am

On Dec. 31, a Verizon Tech came on-site and replaced the following hardware:

1. Replaced ONT with a brand new one and configured.
2. Replaced a couple of old splitters (also installed by Verizon during prior installs).
3. Replaced one (1) Coax patch cable going from the ONT to the splitter.

What I found interesting, is that Verizon does not replace all the little pieces of hardware (such as splitters) when a customer has a new installation. Most of the existing h/w will be re-used for the next customer.

I was told by the Verizon Tech., that the fiber testing passed with one of the best signal qualities with no DB loss.

After all this, I did a rescan of the HDhomerun and the missing channels came back. I needed to re-start the HDhomerun to re-route some of my cables. Now the channels that came back are missing again again. The channel that was not locking in SD (LMN) on my STB is working w/o any issues. I think now, it is something to do with the HDhomerun. After two (2) Cablecards and numerous hours working with Verizon either over the phone or on-site did not resolve the issue. I would appreciate any advise in case I might have missed something. Verizon confirmed that the channel package line up has been sent to the Cablecard an was told there are no issues on their end.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Is your HDHomeRun in close proximity to any other electronics, particularly anything that uses wifi or LTE? There's a frequency range that the HDHomeRun isn't locking on signals in, and problems in that particular range are usually from one of those 2 sources. It can also happen if you have any cable outlets or splitter ports in the home that are just dangling with nothing connected to them and no terminator on them, so make sure everything you have is either connected or terminated. Finally, in rare cases, that range can also see issues from MoCA signals on the coax, so if you're using MoCA, ask Verizon if they will give you a MoCA filter, and add that to the line between the HDHomeRun and whatever it's connected to.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”