Switching from HDHomerun Prime to Connect Quattro

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jim Fox

Switching from HDHomerun Prime to Connect Quattro

Postby Jim Fox » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Hello all, I will be switching from my hdhomerun Prime CableCARD tuner 2 mi connect quatro at the end of this month when my Cable contract expires. I am currently running an antenna in my attic directly to my TV so I know I have a good strong signal available. Because I will shortly be losing cable, I have been storing up movies and TV shows on my Nas. My questions are these; When I remove one tuner and install the other will I lose access to any of the movies or shows I have recorded on my NAS? During the process of making the switch, will the guide data change from my old Cable Company's schedule to my local over-the-air antenna schedule? Are there any other things I should consider when making the switch? Thanks!

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Switching from HDHomerun Prime to Connect Quattro

Postby nateb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Your DVR should remain the same, so no real problems in the switchover in terms of losing content. If you want to wear suspenders and belt, you might consider adding your Quatro before retiring your Prime. If you are using HDHomeRun software, your Quatro will automatically scan for channels and add them to your existing line up. Then when you disconnect your prime, the Prime channels will be removed.

edit: Oh, and you'll need to find your old email enabling DVR on your Prime. When you have the Quatro installed and going, you'll want to click the link in that email again.

Jim Fox

Postby Jim Fox » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:00 am

So, I have the new Connect Quatro installed. I believe I have followed all of your instructions on this thread, including rescanning and reactivating the DVR software. During that process the DVR did seem to see the Quatro. The problem is that even though the DVR software on my Xbox or laptop screens seems to be accepting the command for recording (including the red ball showing up next to the program I want to record in the guide), nothing is really being stored on the NAS. When I open up the HDHomerun App and look at my recorded shows, I do see and can play everything that is currently stored on my NAS that was put there when I was using the HDHomerun Prime with CableCARD. When I am viewing a program live coming from my over-the-air antenna, I can click on the red ball and it seems as though it should be recording. However when I look at the "Recorded" section, it is not there at the top-left being recorded as it used to do with my old HDHomerun Prime. If I go back to "Live" viewing, I know it is recording temporarily on my NAS as I'm watching live, because I can click the ⏪ rewind Icon to back it up to the point where I started viewing it live. However, if I leave that live session and come back to the same channel, it has no recording stored. So, is there something else I need to do to get the live programs to actually store on my NAS, so that I can watch them later? Thanks in advance for your help on this.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am

Did you click the link in the activation email to associate your new tuner with the dvr subscription. For a one off recording as your test seemed to be, most clients will set a rule for ChannelOnly and DateTimeOnly and not present such to the dvr engine if your registered device does not have such channel.

Jim Fox

Postby Jim Fox » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi Signcarver, Thanks for the reply. I think I'm almost there. I went back to the activation email I received after paying $60 when the DVR was in Early Access. Is that a problem? I activated by switching from my preferred browser (Edge) to IE 11. After entering my email and the code and clicking on the Submit button. I got a return message saying "Registration Successful" and I saw the Prime and Quatro listed giving me a total of 7 tuners. However, when I click on "HDHomeRun DVR Instructions" it says "No HDHomeRun DVR detected.Get our DVR service Now.$35 per year". I cut the cord, cancelled my Cable service and mounted an antenna in the garage attic because I retired and money is now very tight. I don't need a Program Guide. I only want to record the local news on the same channel and time every night, so I can watch it the next morning when get up. I know that my tuners are being "detected" because they all show OTA stations from my antenna. I can understand paying for a guide if I was using one, but I only want to record one show so I don't need a guide. Could this fee be the reason I can't use the equipment I bought from Silicon Dust for a simple recording?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Don't use edge or ie... make sure your browser sees all tuners at my.hdhomerun.com (an update a few months ago to ie caused the same issue that edge has "always" had).

The way it works is a remote site has a script to retrieve my.hdhomerun.com/discover (most likely the actual page that redirects to) which returns a list of devices and engines that connected to sd from the same ip. (for registration) It then tries to reach each tuner and registers the ones it can successfully reach to your account and unregisters devices it can't. The problem is that many browsers and security tools block the remote site's page from reaching out to devices on your LAN. If you have (SD's) premium tv you must make sure both dvr and ptv are on the same email address

Also some browsers will try to connect via https rather than http which often causes even the browsers that work to reject connecting to the devices on your lan from a remote page.

However you may have actually been successful so check the DVR's log and if it functions as expected.

Jim Fox

Postby Jim Fox » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:34 am

SUCCESS!! I installed FireFox and repeated your suggested procedure. As you predicted, this time it worked. During the procedure the installer program indicated that the HDHR DVR App needed updating. It was older version 20170930 which updated to 20180921. Now the DVR works as expected. Thanks for your expert and VERY FAST responses Signcarver. You are a credit to Silicon Dust and give me a good impression of them in turn.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”