HD homerun prime and connect on the same network?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sdg124

HD homerun prime and connect on the same network?

Postby sdg124 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm

I use Kodi with its native tv option to use the hd homerun prime. Things work fine. However I prefer watching a few free tv channels with an antenna. Is it possible to have both the prime and a connect on the same network? I’m thinking if the homerun website will allow me to pick and choose the channels that I want from both Prime and Connect, that would be great. Is this possible?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HD homerun prime and connect on the same network?

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:24 pm

SD's software detects "every" hdhomerun on the network (same subnet). Typically OTA will have different numbering than what you get from cable (i.e. 5.1 vs 5 or 1005) so works just fine. It lists every channel detected by the scan you run when you install, If you don't want a particular channel (from a device) you disable on the lineup page (of that device). Most likely if you have cable you would want to disable the premium tv channels on the connect so there is no conflict (exception may be if you have west coast comcast and you also subscribe to ptv. If you wish to subscribe to ptv and keep cable you may need to ensure there is no channel numbering conflicts, including east vs west, as the software only goes by number.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 pm

... exception may be if you have .... comcast and you also subscribe to ptv.
Note that (at least when I last checked) the PTV channel numbers match the MCLU(*)(**), which has been deployed in most of the Comcast footprint (so it is not just a west coast consideration).

(*) MCLU = Master Channel LineUp. One numbering scheme to rule them all. I think the term MCLU was disappeared from the public facing documents at some point in the past, now calling it simply the New Channel Lineup (sort of like how **** renamed Hydra to be the New Experience).

(**) The MCLU is as good of a number scheme as anything, and it does have the advantage of having some consistency in organization when you have lots and lots of channels (not that PTV has lots and lots of channels at this point, but you can dream big).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 am

In general the mclu matches the west coast... ptv has some west coast feeds that screw up such matching for east coast (I believe it is 12 or 13 channels including syfy, usa, paramount, freeform, comedy, bravo, disney, nick...) as the prime would have east while the connect would have west yet since they are same number won't be seperated and will be wrong from a device. I believe for some the west coast may also have trouble with tbs and tnt which are always eastern feeds for ptv.

For me all of them are conflicts at the bulk of my locations (one of my locations if i use a TA it maps the hd to sd numbers so i can disable anything above 1000 on the prime and not disable ptv (on my quatros/extends), whether demo or not. I don't like doing that as if the ta goes out, i'd get either SD or nothing as the rfog system generally only delivers the hd feeds

sdg124

Postby sdg124 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks for the quick responses. I might go ahead and give it a try. I like the antenna channels because there’s less compression compared to the cable version of the free channels, which looks better for watching sports.

sdg124

Postby sdg124 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am

One more question.... in your opinion how good is the picture quality of the antenna through the coax on the tv, compared to using HD Homerun Connect? I use a rasp pi with Kodi, that displays 1080p 60fps. I assume the antenna going directly into tv may be slightly better?

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 am

One more question.... in your opinion how good is the picture quality of the antenna through the coax on the tv, compared to using HD Homerun Connect? I use a rasp pi with Kodi, that displays 1080p 60fps. I assume the antenna going directly into tv may be slightly better?
The decoded bits (presuming the signal is adequate for equal decoding on both) are the same. The observed visual quality may vary. Most TV's have good rendering and post processing, which may look better than a RPi for some of the content some of the time, but that is because the RPi does not have certain post processing capabilities. Different devices may result in better (or worse) visual quality.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:15 am

OTA looks fantastic from my Connect tuners through Kodi running on my RPi2 and RPi3. It looks just as good as the built in tuner on my 50" Panny plasma TV. Just make sure you have a mpeg-2 license for the RPi.

sdg124

Postby sdg124 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:44 am

Sorry for all the questions... I noticed that hd homerun prime over the past month had a total download of <1mb, upload of 100mb. If I add a hd homerun connect, does it use similar bandwidth? Also can you explain the bandwidth usage a little bit? To me it seems that <1mb down, 100mb upload is pretty much negligible for an entire month. That’s with 3 TVs connected.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”