Strongest Channel is dropping out on Tuner (Not Streaming).

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tkt2rde

Strongest Channel is dropping out on Tuner (Not Streaming).

Postby tkt2rde » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:51 pm

I am new to the OTA arena. I live on top of a hill and I’m trying to lock in ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX using a Clearstream 2V mounted on my chimney with zero obstructions. I'm in Owasso, OK (Stone Canyon). I’m hoping someone might shine some light on my issue. I am getting a perfect and stable image from 50+ stations except Fox 23. It shows as having a 100% signal strength, but then intermittently drops out.
TV Fool shows it being the strongest of all the towers concentrated in that area, so I'm really scratching my head as to why the issue. Since I am on a significant hill overlooking Tulsa, I don't have any obstructions. It is not a streaming issue from the HD-Home Run, I get perfect streams, it's a tuning issue and the tuner is just not able to tune Fox 23 for some reason (I know this because it does it with a TV Tuner as well) I am guessing there is some sort of interference I need to deal with? Is it possible the signal is too strong?

Here is a link to my TV Fool Analysis... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903859684c7faa

Using the Signal GH IOS app, I was able to determine that the towers are all in line from my location. Fox is the closest at 16 miles away. CBS and NBC are on the same tower just behind it also listed at 16 miles, and finally the ABC tower is a little further behind those at 21 miles. From my location they are pretty much lined up in a row within a degree of each other.

Here is a link to a folder of photos for reference. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q8w8s ... Fpt9Pvo4Y6

IMG_0770 - App screenshot showing my location and towers
IMG_0769 - App screenshot of towers
IMG_0771 - App screenshot of signal strength reported by HDHomeRun Quattro
IGM_0773 - App screen shot of signal drop out over time on Fox 23.
IMG_0777 - Photo of my roof install on the chimney
IMG-0776 - Photo with phone flat against antenna to show it's POV

I used brand new RG6 quad shield cabling (50 ft) and high quality connectors to connect the Clearstream 2V directly to a new HDHomeRun Quattro. I am in the initial setup phase and have not installed any amplifiers to feed signals to all TV's of the house yet... so it's a straight shot from antenna to HDHomeRun for now. I'm hoping someone may have a suggestion of what one might add or change to troubleshoot/remedy from here? I’m stuck.

Thanks!

rrussis82

Re: Strongest Channel is dropping out on Tuner (Not Streaming).

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I've seen many suggest an attenuator? or putting in a few splitters to reduce the signal if it's coming in too hot. I am not an antenna expert by any means, just going by what I have seen others suggest with similar problems you are having with too strong of a signal.

SD tuners do not like too hot of a signal. and if you can get that channel to show a signal less than 100, that may tell you if its the problem

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I've seen many suggest an attenuator? or putting in a few splitters to reduce the signal if it's coming in too hot. I am not an antenna expert by any means, just going by what I have seen others suggest with similar problems you are having with too strong of a signal.

SD tuners do not like too hot of a signal. and if you can get that channel to show a signal less than 100, that may tell you if its the problem
I agree with you. He is probably over driving the tuner with a hot signal. I have 16 db of attenuation in front of my Quattro. The hot signal is great for my TVs but not the Quattro.

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Thank you! I'll order a few attenuators and experiment.

uilabs

Postby uilabs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 am

I'm seeing the exact same behavior on Fox 23 @ 81st & Sheridan in Tulsa - 100% in Signal GH - dropping out to nothing at regular intervals. The net result is brief & intermittent pixelation and a momentary audio drop.

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:01 pm

I wish I had better news. I ordered a 3db, 6db, and 12db attenuator. I ended up stacking all three to get 21db and knocked Fox 23 signal strength down to 89% and still I get the intermittent drop out. I have posts in other forums as well, hopefully someone smarter than me can help. I also tried an LTE filter.

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:14 pm

I posted in another forum that has some OTA rock stars helping out. I am going to do some location testing, but they have provided some great information that might be helpful so check it out and I'll update that forum on my issue as I work towards a solution.

https://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv ... ost1421079

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Update... The weather has been terrible this week, so I have not been able to get up on the roof. Not one of my Vizio TV's have a tuner, so I picked up a Tuner Box (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so I could A) have a backup in case my network gets ornery while watching a game via the HDHomeRun... and B) I was curious if I would have the same issue with Fox on a different tuner.

Welp, guess what. No issues on this little standalone tuner! Whatever the problem is, it appears that it is at a level that the HDHomeRun uniquely cannot correct. So, my question is... does this rule out Multi-Path? I would think that issue would affect all digital tuners, no?

So to be clear, the hookup now is 30ft from Antenna to a 2-way splitter (with advertised -3db of attenuation) with LTE filter... then one 10ft run to the HDHomeRun with an additional -6db inline attenuator on HDHomeRun connector (-9db attenuation total). Signal HQ reports signal strength of 100%, but dropouts persist.

As outlined before in this thread (https://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv ... ost1421137), I've tried stacking an additional -15db of attenuation (-24db total) and it did not change the drop out issue. (I found another -12db attenuator I could try (for -36db total), but the -24db already knocked Fox 23 down to 90% and Channel 2 (my weakest station) down to 62%. But, I might give it a try just to see what happens.

The other side of the 2-way splitter output goes 10ft to a 4-way splitter (with advertised -7db of attenuation) that supplies two rooms (-10db combined splitter attenuation total). The one run with the tuner is approximately 30ft of additional cable away.

On the other Tuner Box, Fox KOKI-23 is showing sustained 78% quality. No dropouts at all... it looks great.

So, what do I consider now? Is there something wrong with the HDHomeRun Quattro? Does SiliconDust support monitor this forum?

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Hmmmm.... sounds like there might be an issue with the Quattro.

viewtopic.php?t=69818

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:51 pm

I think you are part of the now known problem with the demodulator.
Check out this topic viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166
and go to page 4 for Nick's comment. Then on page 5 there is another SD comment explaining it is more widespread than just WTVD in Raleigh, NC.
I asked yesterday for an update and hopefully after the 1st, we will hear something.

myoung84

Postby myoung84 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:20 pm

I'm seeing the exact same behavior on Fox 23 @ 81st & Sheridan in Tulsa - 100% in Signal GH - dropping out to nothing at regular intervals. The net result is brief & intermittent pixelation and a momentary audio drop.
I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm even closer to the Fox 23 tower at 61st & Lynn Lane.

tkt2rde

Postby tkt2rde » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Update... I ordered a Connect Duo from Amazon and swapped it out with the Quattro I'm having issues with and it is rock solid. There is something wrong with some of these Quattros. Two Duo's are the same price as one Quattro, so I am returning the Quattro and will order another Duo and stack them.

wellsdsw

Postby wellsdsw » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 am

Same issue with 23 on the north end of Broken Arrow. I just got the Quatro a few weeks ago. Need to make sure I haven't thrown away the box as it sounds like I need to exchange it for the Duo. When I plug the antenna directly to a TV, perfect picture on 23. When it runs through the Quatro, sound drops and intermittent pixels.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Confirming, the KOKI issue is the same as the one being experienced with WTVD and KVUE.
I'm going to lock this thread so all discussion of the issue continues in the other thread at viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166 .

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”