HDHR-T1-US Not Working Correctly After Update

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
asa4400

HDHR-T1-US Not Working Correctly After Update

Postby asa4400 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 am

My HDHR-T1-US was working well for my needs until I upgraded to - hdhomerun_windows_20180921. I don't need DVR, only live TV from an antenna and clear QAM.

The firmware was upgraded to 20170930 during the setup process. The firewall was configured by the hdhomerun program letting all hdhomerun elements in and out.

During a channel scan all channels are discovered; however, when trying to watch TV in the provided viewer (quick TV I think, which I prefer) all that appears are channel icons on the right side. When clicking on an icon there is no video nor audio. In the setup application I can click on any discovered channel, which launches VLC (version 3.04) and the video and audio work, but it is clumsy to change channels because the VLC app must be closed and relaunched each time. And the picture in VLC cannot be fully expanded side-to-side. Windows media center only discovers half of the channels and also is clumsy.

I am using windows 7 and have applied vc_redist_2017_26429.x86, as well as all current OS updates. I also tried installing k-lite-full to get any possible missing codecs, but still no luck. As mentioned VLC 3.04 is installed and works. I know the HDHR-T1-US is no longer supported, but is there anything I can do such as a patch or downgrade to restore the unit to its previous functioning state?

I can not find links to any previous version of the setup file on the site. I think before doing the upgrade my unit was on a 2013 or 2014 firmware and similiar date for quick TV.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HDHR-T1-US Not Working Correctly After Update

Postby signcarver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Personally i would suggest never updating such hardware and going back to a release that actually had quicktv (rather than view/hdhomerun on win 7) as the older tuners will never fully support the modern method of tuning and the windows 7 app (i still call it view as it has not changed since then) most likely won't get updated.

As to your issue, generally you need to remove such codec packs and make sure the 64bit version of vlc never touches the system.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi,

You should be good with the latest release on the T1.

If you have a Windows 10 device, Android phone, or iPhone - that would be a good first verification - make sure the T1 works with the latest generation HDHomeRun apps.

The Windows 7 app uses the same codec path as QuickTV so there shouldn't be a problem there.
Test - try uninstalling VLC and see if the Windows 7 app plays. Then try installing the 32-bit version of VLC.

Nick

asa4400

Postby asa4400 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have the 32-bit version of Win7, so I was using the 32-bit version of VLC. I uninstalled k-lite and VLC with no result. After uninstalling VLC I still can access video from the setup scan list, which now launches WMP. Sound and video play in WMP this way, the same as with VLC before I uninstalled it.

I installed the android app on a phone and streaming all channels works great. I just can't get video nor audio by using the Win7 PC app, which is how I watched most of the time before I upgraded. The channel icons are in the Win 7 View (quick TV) application, just no video/audio will play.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm

I don't know if the T1's firmware can be downgraded. I can downgrade my 2nd-gen Duals but not my 4th-gen Connect. But here's what you can try.

Go to the SiliconDust Downloads page. Look at the software and firmware changelog pages to choose the version you want to download.

Some, not all, older software and firmware versions are still available for download. There are just no posted links to them. But the link is the same as for the current version except for the datecode. For software (which includes firmware for all models at the time), click on "HDHomeRun Software for Windows" (assuming you're using Windows) but don't download immediately. Instead, note the filename with its datecode, and substitute the datecode you chose in the download link. If it downloads, fine. If not, choose a different version and try again.

Firmware for most models can be downloaded from a list on the "HDHomeRun Software for Linux" page. However, I don't see firmware for any Tech models (I assume that's what a T1 is). You could find the name of your firmware (.bin) file in your HDHR program directory, substitute that name in the link for any of the downloads, then replace the datecode with the one you want. I have no idea if that would work.

If your download works, remove any .bin files from the HDHR program directory; otherwise the HDHR software will try to reinstall the latest version at any opportunity. You could delete them but I prefer to save them elsewhere, such as a Firmware directory under the program one. I don't know if installing older software will downgrade firmware but if not, it should at least leave the older firmware in the program directory. In that case, or if you successfully downloaded just the firmware, you can try to install it using hdhomerun_config_gui.exe. Click on the Device ID, then the Upgrade tab.

If the downgrade appears successful, make sure by checking the version number. When I tried to downgrade my HDHR4 I got no errors but the version didn't change.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm

If you can not find a download for the version that you want, I would check out the wayback machine. (https://archive.org/web/) They archive old webpages for future generations.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am

The latest firmware supports all the same protocols and operations as the older firmware - please don't downgrade the firmware as that isn't the problem.

We support these models are will help you get things working.

Nick

asa4400

Postby asa4400 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you again for the suggestions.

I followed the procedure to download several of the outdated firmware packages and it worked perfectly. I gathered 7 of them going back to 20140604, but after reading nickk's comment I decided to hold tight and not attempt any firmware downgrading at this time. Now that I have played with the android phone app I would hate to lose that terrific feature, even though I mainly use the Win7 32-bit PC for watching TV with the HDHR-T1-US unit.

I did manually delete the antenna xml and digital cable xml files from the C: drive ProgamData/SiliconDust/HDHomeRun sub directory and ran a channel scan for the digital cable clearQAM to regenerate that file. Unfortunately, the result for the PC is the same -- the unit is recognized on the network and the channel icons appear on the right in the View app, just no picture nor sound when clicking on an icon.

Let me know if you have an approach for getting this to work, including beta testing software/firmware.

asa4400

Postby asa4400 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Waiting for direction to get my HDHR-T1-US working again without downgrading the firmware.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 am

Since all the different ways you've tried to watch TV have worked except the current version of View, that must be a problem with View or the other software it depends on. As much as I favor being able to downgrade firmware, in this case I have to agree with nickk. Downgrading would be pointless.

View and QuickTV are quite different. View has the channel icons you mentioned and a program guide. QuickTV just has a list of channels with buttons to click to select them. QuickTV isn't included in current versions of the software. I wish it were, or that it were available separately, because I prefer it to View for simply watching TV. But it doesn't support Premium TV, it requires Windows and it has dependencies that might limit what versions of Windows it can work with. I have an old standalone version (20131212beta1) that I install on any Windows computer that I install SD software on. Currently that includes Win 7 and 10.

ZenDad

Postby ZenDad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:59 pm

The latest firmware supports all the same protocols and operations as the older firmware - please don't downgrade the firmware as that isn't the problem.

We support these models are will help you get things working.

Nick
I would disagree with this statement. I have 2 posts (and I've emailed) asking for support concerning tuning issues since the August firmware upgrade and have gotten no response from support.

asa4400

Postby asa4400 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks ZenDad for bumping my post and recounting your experience.

I've been waiting two weeks, with no direction to potentially correct my problem. I hope something happens after the holidays, both for you and me.

Regards

ZenDad

Postby ZenDad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Still no response. Clearly this is a known problem without a solution, so SD stops responding.

My unit used to get regular firmware updates and after the August update, not further updates were issued for my model. Curious.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:43 am

Still no response. Clearly this is a known problem without a solution, so SD stops responding.

My unit used to get regular firmware updates and after the August update, not further updates were issued for my model. Curious.
SD has had issues in the past with open support tickets being mysteriously closed, deleted, forgotten or otherwise ignored. You are not alone.

Another option might be to open a new ticket and include the text of previous emails.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Since some of this gets handled via support tickets, and we don't always update the forum posts, I just want to check in on this to see if this is still an issue. If so, I'll start bugging people about it again until we get it worked out.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”