Pixelation difference between a ViewTV AT-163 tuner and a HRHomeRun

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
larrylegg7@gmail.com

Pixelation difference between a ViewTV AT-163 tuner and a HRHomeRun

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:37 am

I run a ViewTV AT-163 tuner and a HRHomeRun off of the same antenna. I get the same signal strength between the two. However, I rarely get any pixelation on the ViewTV AT-163 tuner. I get frequent pixelation on the HRHomeRun. I have tried switching the coax cables and I get the same results. I have tried it with and without an amp and the same holds true if you do a AB comparison. We are in a spot where any weather change causes a pixelation so I switch to the ViewTV AT-163 tuner. However, I love the DVR feature.

Is there a preference I could change to affect to avoid this? A hardware firmware update?

Thanks,

Larry

jseymour

Re: Pixelation difference between a ViewTV AT-163 tuner and a HRHomeRun

Postby jseymour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 am

What does the signal strength and quality, and symbol quality look like? You can see snapshots of them via the my.hdhomerun.com web page. You can track them in real time with the HDHomeRun Config GUI or with one of the apps available for Android or iOS.

larrylegg7@gmail.com

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm

I have been tracking the HRHomeRun with the Signal GH app. Viewing the signal strength via the AT-163 tuner on the TV and the HRHomeRun with the app. The signal strength almost mirror each other yet the HRHomeRun Pixelates around 50% but the AT-163 tuner doesn't. Both will pixelate if it gets at 45%.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:33 pm

One cannot directly compare two different manufacturers designs, as they are going to be different, with different trade-offs. That the HDHRs are different than the ViewTV device is almost a given (two different TV's will also often also see differences in certain locations).

The last tech docs I recall seeing said that the HDHR requires a OTA signal strength of at least 60%, but typically more importantly is the signal quality, which must be at least 50% to even have a chance at good results.

You don't mention the variant of the HDHR. Each of the generations of OTA tuners had different designs, and handle challenged signals differently. Although in the general case the newer tuners are better than the old, there are some cases where a specific variant will be better than the other.

I think you should focus on getting a better antenna setup.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:07 pm

I have been tracking the HRHomeRun with the Signal GH app. Viewing the signal strength via the AT-163 tuner on the TV and the HRHomeRun with the app. The signal strength almost mirror each other ...
That's almost certainly a coincidence. There is no standard for what constitutes XX% of full strength.
...yet the HRHomeRun Pixelates around 50% but the AT-163 tuner doesn't. Both will pixelate if it gets at 45%.
50% signal strength on an HDHR tuner is pretty much pushing your luck. I've a station running a signal strength of 50-52%, signal quality 55-58%, and occasionally the symbol quality goes right into the basement and I get pixelation (HDHR) or buffering (Channels). Stations below 50% pixelate/buffer pretty regularly.

larrylegg7@gmail.com

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 am

I line in a bowl with no direct view to a stations antenna. I have a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 70 Mile Range. Can you suggest a better antenna?

bmitchell

Postby bmitchell » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 am

A different antenna probably won't help if you're in a low spot. You need to get the antenna higher up. Even as little as 5 or 6' could make a big difference. For signal quality, taller almost always trumps antenna gain for signal quality. Of course aim matters too.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”